Rehearsals (spoilers alert)

truerebel

19 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I know of a few ppl that left MDNA early and were angry about not just the setlist but her lateness, the violence, etc.

I attended the DWT and the audience was really into it.

I know generally that some people (mostly fans tbh) griped about it a bit, but most attendees seemed to embrace and enjoy it at the time. Don’t forget at least some of those new songs were hits, and she was still considered a very current artist. And of the creativity of the show seemed to be well received.

People were really pissed that she didn't do hits at DWT since she hadn't toured in a long time. I don't recall anyone leaving but they were upset for sure. That led to a backlash and she did the Reinvention tour to make up for it. She was pretty open about that. That was in Los Angeles the week of 9/11. I saw the show twice, before and after 9/11 happened. 

3 minutes ago, litemakr said:

People were really pissed that she didn't do hits at DWT since she hadn't toured in a long time. I don't recall anyone leaving but they were upset for sure. That led to a backlash and she did the Reinvention tour to make up for it. She was pretty open about that. That was in Los Angeles the week of 9/11. I saw the show twice, before and after 9/11 happened. 

LOL surprisingly people weren't there to hear I Deserve It and Oh Dear Daddy after an 8 year absence. 

8 minutes ago, litemakr said:

You are right, there were many upset more hits weren't performed at DWT, but hardly there was a backlash.  In fact, Re-invention had more success than DWT.  Besides, some people were too busy losing there shit over American Life album after the DWT.

35 minutes ago, adirondak said:

A lot of people left MDNA early at my show in Los Angeles, they were pissed off at the late start, and then realized it was short on hits, or that they were totally revamped i.e. Like a Virgin. Madonna even commented on the audience being jaded. Madame X a ton of people left early too. I didn't see any of that on Drowned World, but she had a much stronger reputation then and hadn't toured in 8 years. Despite that fact, I did hear people complain about lack of hits, even though they didn't leave. 

Such stupid people 😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, McDonna said:

You are right, there were many upset more hits weren't performed at DWT, but hardly there was a backlash.  In fact, Re-invention had more success than DWT.  Besides, some people were too busy losing there shit over American Life album after the DWT.

I meant RIT was a result of the backlash. She did it to make up to her fans. And true about AL, that was crazy.

I just hope she uses some of Nikki and Donna’s vocals. No shade to her backup singers over the years, but they’ve never compared to those girls. Donna back for RIT and Confessions was wonderful.

In terms of blending I mean. They may be fabulous singers in their own right… but let’s be honest lol. Fabulous of M to try new things and give other singers the praise of a chance, and a great gig. But she should have been looking for the next Nikki and Donna. Not backup singers. You can’t just harmonize with Madonna. It has to be complimentary. Maybe that’s just the vocalist in me.

Just now, adirondak said:

MDNA is one of my favs, but they seemed to be casual fans. I thought the production of the show alone made it worthwhile. No female pop singer since has matched it. 

I can say that at my show in Florence no one leaved the place..instead a lot of people enjoyed the show. Younger (I saw a 9 yo girl) and older (couple husband+wife, probably more than 70).

amazing night

I remember during DWT people in my section making comments like "What is this?", "When is she gonna do "Like A Prayer" etc. 

But I was on cloud 9. First time seeing her. And I loved every bit of ROL/ Music so it was all good to me. I would even trade out Secret and Holiday for tracks like Skin, Bedtime Story etc.

THEE highlight was "You'll See" though. I know some people are pissed about the lack of band, but she can still do a major show in that style after this. But if Mama is gonna let us have an all dance extravaganza, now is the time.

1 minute ago, litemakr said:

I meant RIT was a result of the backlash. She did it to make up to her fans. And true about AL, that was crazy.

No, because RIT still represented the AL album heavily. She just managed to balance it out with a lot more hits this time around.  There was really no backlash to DWT.  Backlashes result in people not supporting the artist or refusing to go on the next tour, and that just didn't happen.

1 minute ago, McDonna said:

No, because RIT still represented the AL album heavily. She just managed to balance it out with a lot more hits this time around.  There was really no backlash to DWT.  Backlashes result in people not supporting the artist or refusing to go on the next tour, and that just didn't happen.

Well call it what you want, but a lot of her long time fans were upset. She acknowledged that and did RIT as more of a hits tour than an American Life tour.  And people loved it.

8 minutes ago, litemakr said:

Well call it what you want, but a lot of her long time fans were upset. She acknowledged that and did RIT as more of a hits tour than an American Life tour.  And people loved it.

I'm sure the set list chosen for RIT was more about appeasing people after the release of American Life.  Then again, people tend to over-react about the silliest things. Madonna is hardly an artist known for going on tour, just to play the hits.  It amazes me that even some fans get upset because she tends to focus on her current album release when touring.  I mean; go figure, if she's going to call a tour Madame X, Rebel Heart, and MDNA, people should expect the tour is going to be focused on those particular albums.  Drowned World Tour came after an eight year tour absence, and so she had a lot of material to make up for. Three studio albums, Evita and a couple new soundtrack songs.

22 minutes ago, McDonna said:

That's true but she released that promotional picture that made it clear she was going to perform Vogue (for the first time in over 10 years) and it was a callback to her well-received 1990 VMAs performance. 

1 minute ago, adirondak said:

That's true but she released that promotional picture that made it clear she was going to perform Vogue (for the first time in over 10 years) and it was a callback to her well-received 1990 VMAs performance. 

For DWT?  I guess I don't recall that? I know promo videos for the tour included some of her biggest hits, but I don't recall any promise of Vogue being performed?

11 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I'm sure the set list chosen for RIT was more about appeasing people after the release of American Life.  Then again, people tend to over-react about the silliest things. Madonna is hardly an artist known for going on tour, just to play the hits.  It amazes me that even some fans get upset because she tends to focus on her current album release when touring.  I mean; go figure, if she's going to call a tour Madame X, Rebel Heart, and MDNA, people should expect the tour is going to be focused on those particular albums.  Drowned World Tour came after an eight year tour absence, and so she had a lot of material to make up for. Three studio albums, Evita and a couple new soundtrack songs.

Also, let's not forget, even Blond Ambition, that Northern Star of Madonna's touring, had a whole section of songs that were neither hits nor singles (Hanky Panky was released 2 months after the tour started). 

6 minutes ago, McDonna said:

For DWT?  I guess I don't recall that? I know promo videos for the tour included some of her biggest hits, but I don't recall any promise of Vogue being performed?

re-invention-tour-poster01.jpeg

This image, along with the tour name, made it seem like hits would be performed. Especially Vogue. This was a huge factor in selling tickets despite the blowback for lack of hits on DWT and American Life. 

3 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

The Twitter user insidethegroove said the song about her mother is Mother and Father and apparently an image of her mother is shown on the screens in a sepia tone. I guess no Promise to Try or Inside of Me then

Yall could have just believed me when I said it. 🤭 With the amount of ballads already included, she wouldn’t do Promise To Try or Inside Of Me and we know she loves Mother And Father. She considered it for a single release in 2003 (Source: a fan who went to her On Stage & On The Record performance). During the commercial break she asked the fans if the next single should be "Hollywood", "Love Profusion" or "Mother and Father".

10 minutes ago, adirondak said:

re-invention-tour-poster01.jpeg

This image, along with the tour name, made it seem like hits would be performed. Especially Vogue. This was a huge factor in selling tickets despite the blowback for lack of hits on DWT and American Life. 

But Vogue was performed on Re-Invention Tour??  Re-Invention did manage to pull out a lot of hits.  I thought you were speaking of Vogue was promised for DWT?