BILLBOARD - Madonna’s "The Celebration Tour" Approaching $100 Million in Grosses and headed for more than $225 million worldwide.

Askeroff

article from billboard pro

https://www.billboard.com/pro/madonna-celebration-tour-100-million/

Madonna’s The Celebration Tour Approaching $100 Million in Grosses

Based on projections for the upcoming North American dates, The Celebration Tour is headed for more than $225 million worldwide.

The numbers are in for the first leg of Madonna’s The Celebration Tour. According to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore, the European leg grossed $77.5 million and sold 429,000 tickets.

Madonna-tour-2023-billboard-pro-1260.jpg

In January, Madonna announced The Celebration Tour, slated to honor the biggest hits of her legendary career. After a medical emergency forced a postponement of the first batch of North American dates, she launched the trek on Oct. 14 at London’s O2 Arena.

Over four shows that week, Madonna earned $14.7 million and sold 60,000 tickets, only to return to the O2 for the leg’s final two shows on Dec. 5-6, which added another $7.5 million and 31,000 tickets. Since returning from the pandemic, only Elton John and Queen + Adam Lambert have amassed bigger totals at the O2, and they did it with nine and 10 shows, respectively. When Madonna last played the O2, it was just two nights in 2015, compared to this year’s six.

In between, Madonna stopped in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal and more, for a total of 27 shows across 11 European markets. Four nights at Paris’ Accor Arena provided the tour’s other eight-figure gross, bringing in $10.7 million from 62,000 tickets on Nov. 12-13 and 19-20.

Madonna’s European totals average out to $2.9 million and 15,900 tickets per night on a $180.53 ticket. Compared to the theater-residency run of her last tour, the Madame X Tour (2019-20), she’s up by 312% in nightly earnings and by 518% in average attendance.

On more level footing with the European leg from the Rebel Heart Tour from 2015-16, Madonna’s last arena tour, her 2023 shows are still up – by 9% in attendance, sold out on every show, and by 70% in average gross, thanks in large part to bulked up ticket pricing.

Immediate demand for The Celebration Tour expanded Madonna’s initial routing of 12 shows in Europe to 27. Likewise, the first batch of 26 shows in the U.S. and Canada has swelled to 47. She kicks off the North American leg on Wednesday (Dec. 13) at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. After a handful of shows this month, she’s back for the rest in 2024, playing through April 15 in Austin, plus five shows from April 20-26 at Mexico City’s Foro Sol.

Looking at the relationship between Madonna’s European shows and stateside shows on the Rebel Heart Tour, Billboard expects the U.S. and Canadian leg to earn about $150 million from 650,000 tickets.

With the handful of Mexico shows to follow, the current routing for The Celebration Tour is headed toward a total haul of $240-245 million and 1.1-1.2 million tickets over 79 shows.

That would situate it behind stadium runs on the Sticky & Sweet Tour (2008-09; $407.7 million) and The MDMA Tour (2012; $305.2 million), but ahead of arena treks the Confessions Tour (2006; $194.8 million) and the Rebel Heart Tour (2015-16; $169.8 million).

51 minutes ago, Askeroff said:

pollstar for 2023 year end

Screen-Shot-2023-12-07-at-9.51.13-PM-1.p

From that list, it looks like Taylor Swift, even though she was the highest grossing artist, only performed a small number of cities compared to the rest of the artists. I assume her agency kept her in markets where she's hot and just did multiple shows in those markets.

2 hours ago, Askeroff said:

pollstar for 2023 year end

Screen-Shot-2023-12-07-at-9.51.13-PM-1.p

My guess most of these artists started their tours earlier this year vs. Madonna who I wonder if was included on this list?  Also, ticket prices are so high, so of course some are breaking records.  The more venues you perform as this ticket prices, the more chance you are going to break records. 

Glad to see Madonna is nearing 100 Million just for 2 months so far.

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

who is Taylor Swift - never heard of her ? 

My best friend's a Swiftie, and thinks her Speak Now tour from over a decade ago was the best concert ever, so I tried to politely educate her that Madonna's Blonde Ambition Tour really started the whole big theatrical pop tour format. I like Taylor, think she's a talented songwriter, a savvy businesswoman, and seems like a nice enough person, but I do think some of her fans don't appreciate how artists like M paved the way for younger artists like Taylor. 

27 minutes ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

My best friend's a Swiftie, and thinks her Speak Now tour from over a decade ago was the best concert ever, so I tried to politely educate her that Madonna's Blonde Ambition Tour really started the whole big theatrical pop tour format. I like Taylor, think she's a talented songwriter, a savvy businesswoman, and seems like a nice enough person, but I do think some of her fans don't appreciate how artists like M paved the way for younger artists like Taylor. 

For me, Taylor is a different force for a new generation. I don't get the hate?  She pretty much stands for everything Madonna does?   While I am not a huge fan of her music, I still enjoy a lot of her output.  Not only that, she is definitely very influential at the moment (no matter what some say or try to pretend they never heard of her. After all, you would be living under a rock if you've never heard of her).  Like you mentioned she's talented with her songwriting and being a business woman. I think some of her fans are too conservative and prefer to hate on Madonna as some Madonna fans hate on her. 

I get if you're not into her, but there is no denying she IS a huge influence these days and for the most part, she's an influence in a good way.  She definitely stands for much of what Madonna has always stood for.  I appreciate that because we need more women like Taylor who supports what Madonna has been doing all along. Not only that, I never recall Taylor ever shading Madonna. She seems to be very appreciative and respectful of Madonna. 

20 minutes ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

You're right, Taylor's always been very respectful of Madonna. I have nothing against Taylor, I was more thinking about my friend specifically who seemed to not quite get how innovative Madonna's early tours were.

Oh I know what you were trying to convey.  Have no issue with anything you said.  Just odd how some hate on her, when Taylor has never shown but respect towards Madonna. I think some hate on her because she is extremely popular, influential and breaking some of Madonna's records.  While I understand she may not relate to all Madonna fans, it's ridiculous to say you've never heard of her or dismiss her positive influence.  I rather a thousands Taylor's than some of the toxic people out there getting attention by the media and public.

11 hours ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

Yeah, I do think some Madonna fans hating on Taylor just because she's breaking her records is pretty petty and toxic, and probably rooted in jealousy on some level, can see your point there...

I agree it's just "jealousy".  Some refuse to acknowledge other pop stars may achieve something beyond Madonna.  With Taylor, she seems to resonate with more audiences than Madonna does.  In the U.S. alone, she is able to reach a conservative audience, where Madonna isn't able to do the same. Being she's been able to reach people in Country music plays a huge part in that.  She is very universal. I am able to admit in more ways than Madonna has ever been.  The difference is, Madonna has been able to reach people who are more open to be more sexual.

well deserved and its a fantastic tour - im kind of shocked it hasnt grossed more but i dont see her extending it - she will need a good rest after i think - maybe she can pick up the rest of the world after she finished promoting the expanded box sets that are coming next year :) imagine warning signs unplugged or a sickick remix or maybe an edit one and edit two mix too ? :) 

2 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

Here we go again, why do people have to compare Taylor Swift to Madonna. This happened all before with Lady Gaga. If you wanna stan Taylor Swift, go somewhere else for fucks sake. 

It's called a discussion. Of course comparisons will come up when we're talking about Madonna touring numbers and the fact Taylor is blowing everyone else out of the water right now.  I only mentioned Taylor because it was in response to what another commented on.  Also, I have nothing against Taylor.  I understand her appeal even though I am not really much of a fan of hers.  If you're not interested in the conversations than don't bother to comment about it.  People are free to speak their opinions and thoughts! :)