Why did Nothing Really Matters flop in America?

The theory seems to be that the physical release came out really late? i don't know how it works but doesn't really make sense, she was on top of the world and the video got a lot of publicity and people liked it, it reverberated for some time, even getting referenced by that band who made a video with madonna lookalikes, etc, it's weird to have it chart at 93, it's literally her biggest flop. 

40 minutes ago, mysweetaudrina9 said:

it's literally her biggest flop. 

Not worse than many of her singles since Hollywood... But I get what you mean. Relatively low when she was at such a peak.

However, it's weird because a lot of people I know who casually listen to her know this song, so maybe it is the weird release to radio vs. single release timing?

Clearly, more negativity from a "newcomer" :ahh:

Yeah, it wasn't a huge success in the U.S., but it came at the tail end of her success with ROL.  The album was hugely acclaimed. Fans loved NRM, no matter what the critics or the public thought.  She was able to open her Celebration Tour with the song, and people loved it. It was still a win-win for her.   :luv:

27 minutes ago, A. A. Aardvark said:

Because she was already seen as veteran and she was competing with new teen stars, she was 40, and experimental and hard album like ROL already had 3 big hits so it just got lost...

that is not true, she was on top of people's minds in 1999 and beautiful stranger was a huge hit.

1 minute ago, Donna said:

Clearly, more negativity from a newcomer! 

Yeah, it wasn't a huge success in the U.S., but it came at the tail end of her success with ROL.  The album was hugely acclaimed. Fans loved NRM, no matter what the critics or the public thought.  It was still a win-win for her.  :luv:

awww it's that your attempt of getting newcomers banned so that you are safe in your cocoon? are you so threatened?

1 minute ago, mysweetaudrina9 said:

awww it's that your attempt of getting newcomers banned so that you are safe in your cocoon? are you so threatened?

Not at all,  you're free to say what you want.  Just as I am free to counter your replies.  You seem super defensive and let's be real, most of your replies is to discount Madonna rather celebrate her.   I personally don't think you are the fan you pretend to be.  I'd say "time will tell", but you're already proving otherwise.  And yes, you're going to twist a lot of panties here.  Not me, because I'm quite humored by people like you, but there will be others who will take you to task even more.  Once again, Good luck! :laughing:

15 minutes ago, Donna said:

Not at all,  you're free to say what you want.  Just as I am free to counter your replies.  You seem super defensive and let's be real, most of your replies is to discount Madonna rather celebrate her.   I personally don't think you are the fan you pretend to be.  I'd say "time will tell", but you're already proving otherwise.  And yes, you're going to twist a lot of panties here.  Not me, because I'm quite humored by people like you, but there will be others who will take you to task even more.  Once again, Good luck! :laughing:

whatever, i've been a fan for 20 years, but the community has become a cult, and i will always think for myself.

It should have been the 3rd single in the US and finished off with POG.

The video is one of my all time favorites from her but it was oddly, pretty much a non event that came and went. 

I also remember it being a bit devisive with fans because they wanted another track, usually Skin or Sky Fits Heaven. 

It's in great company with Bad Girl, Bedtime Story, and Get Together. 

well POG had its final week on the charts wayyyy back in Jan '99 and NRM made its debut in....May '99

the maxi was released in March (limited vinyl) and peaked in May (thanks to the CD version btw)

the CD single got released in May same for the maxi

and it got airplay but back in March (on top40 mainstream) and peaked in April but the WR geniuses decided to wait until May to release the CD single and maxi

so yeah they took forever and didn't really push it much

bubblegum pop was on the rise. lol I remember it was all about Britney that year.

On top of that, they didn't bother further promoting the song after her opening act at the Grammy's. I think as soon they (her and WB) got the grammys for ROL, they didn't even bother. They got what they wanted, she made history for herself and went on to work on Beautiful stranger. she immediately ditched the black hair and went back to blonde and had a tan.

I very vaguely remember this but I think it was because the NRM physical single and maxi were released several months after it went to radio. I assume they held it back cos they wanted to encourage album sales after her Grammy wins. Someone who followed chart history more closely will be able to clarify. I don't believe it was going to be a big hit but could have peaked a fair bit higher, maybe top 40.

There were also big changes in the way the hot 100 was calculated in late 1998. It became based more on radio play, although sales were still a component. If this change did not happen TPOG would have been top 10 but they changed the rules as it was heading toward its peak. With the old rules I think NRM would have done fairly well.

3 minutes ago, mysweetaudrina9 said:

https://youtu.be/GemwsucYb9A?si=UUN52KrJhW9KKsEE

dont know if this was released in America, judst showing NRM as one of the looks of the video, just showing how people liked it. 

This band is Australian and was a #1 hit here. The Geisha look was definitely an iconic look for her. It was featured in the VMA's drag queen tribute in 1999. I think it was more iconic because it was featured at the Grammys rather than anything to do with the song. I think this song is fairly forgotten or unheard of by non fans. The Celebration Tour reignited interest in it with fans I think. I have always loved it.

If I remember well, Billboard changed the rules by the time of The Power of Goodbye, so it failed to reach Top 10. About the time of Nothing Really Matters, Warner wasn't interested to promote the single in favor for the coming of Beautiful Stranger. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

This band is Australian and was a #1 hit here. The Geisha look was definitely an iconic look for her. It was featured in the VMA's drag queen tribute in 1999. I think it was more iconic because it was featured at the Grammys rather than anything to do with the song. I think this song is fairly forgotten or unheard of by non fans. The Celebration Tour reignited interest in it with fans I think. I have always loved it.

it's all been pretty much forgotten now, but the video was popular.

"flopped" because music video and single were released at the end Of january at least In México and the cd maxi single was put on sale till July, same in europe, I was very disapointed when i saw NRM on hot 100, by the time of the released Beautiful Stranger was on the radio and the music Video on MTV

In Europe we had Drowned World single and video being a great succes before, so NRM was the fifth single really, and although the song and the video are amazing, the amazing ROL era was already and clearly fading out and they were cooking the beautiful stranger singe and video, that were huge also a few months later, still NRM for me as an european, was a success and a classic of hers, mostly due to that famous videoclip. So not really a problem here.

The song didn't even make the Billboard airplay charts which means airplay was likely weak. Also The music video, airplay and promotion (such as performance at the Grammys) and the release of the Maxi single all happened between Jan & Feb. By the time the two track single was released in April, the song had peaked. 

The song largely charted on radio airplay and by the time the physical single was released, airplay, which wasn't impressive, had already peaked.