MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

9 hours ago, Anapausis said:

The bassline player to Dear Father had beef with M back in the very early '80s due to him got secured the release for her own penned song Crimes of Passion (her demo version got released nonetheless through Stephen Bray's Pre-Madonna/In the Beginning), basicly some sort of thievery in M's mind. Once she knew who was behind the bassline, she scrapped Dear Father. Until then, she was adamant to include it as the fourth track of Erotica.

Or perhaps cause Dear Father isn't that strong of a track? What's the source of this stolen bass line theory anyway? It makes little sense really. Bass lines are replaceable - I doubt M would ditch a song she thought was good enough because of something as insignificant as that. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Or perhaps cause Dear Father isn't that strong of a track? What's the source of this stolen bass line theory anyway? It makes little sense really. Bass lines are replaceable - I doubt M would ditch a song she thought was good enough because of something as insignificant as that. 

8 minutes ago, Markdonna said:

Huh.  I used to be real up on lost Madonna tracks… but DEAR FATHER?  Somehow I have never heard of this one.  Thanks for the info… something fun to distract me from this endless waiting to see her LIVE in LA… :)

From Lucy O'Brien's Madonna: Like an Icon

Betts recorded several tracks with Madonna, including "Dear Father," which was chalked up to be "song four" on the record. "It was a song about her relationship with God. She was really loving it," says Betts. But when it came to organizing the publishing, Madonna was dismayed to learn that Mic Murphy from pop/dance act The System had played a bass line, and she nixed the song. Rumor has it that she and Murphy clashed a few times in the early 80s and Madonna never forgot it.

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

From Lucy O'Brien's Madonna: Like an Icon

Betts recorded several tracks with Madonna, including "Dear Father," which was chalked up to be "song four" on the record. "It was a song about her relationship with God. She was really loving it," says Betts. But when it came to organizing the publishing, Madonna was dismayed to learn that Mic Murphy from pop/dance act The System had played a bass line, and she nixed the song. Rumor has it that she and Murphy clashed a few times in the early 80s and Madonna never forgot it.

Ah, I love that book and read it like 3 times but completely forgot about that bit! Thank you. Still find that story odd :).

16 hours ago, TheGoth said:

Indeed, she could've replaced the bassist, but in all honesty, the songs that were scrapped from the Erotica album was a good call. Lyrically cumbersome and lacking the hooks that the final versions delivered. 

I'd suscribe that but excuding 'Shame', which to me is *the* great unreleased track from the era even if the chorus was too reminiscent of the Motown song 'It's a Shame' by The Spinners, which was fresh in the airwaves when she and Pettibone were writing since the rapper Monie Love sampled it in a single released in late 1990. I think it's one of those catchy songs that come out of her effortlessly.

19 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

The Erotica demos are cool additions but none of the songs that were left off are as strong as what is on the album. Even Goodbye to Innocence doesnt quite get to where it wanted to go.

I ended at Up Down Suite and Fever which were both released and both amazing tracks. She should have left Goodbye to in the vault instead of giving it to charity. But it was a good deed.

3 hours ago, Honey Little said:

She should have left Goodbye to in the vault instead of giving it to charity. But it was a good deed.

She still has the rights to the demos of that song for sure. She can put them to use if she desires so. I don't feel bad for the song that was given away, final version sucks and doesn't fit Erotica.

46 minutes ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

Tour started and no deluxe reissue announced to tie in :drama:

Yeah, I"m done in hoping something is coming with the tour.  No new song and those deluxe re-issues are probably a few and further on the horizon.  Maybe they will make a big deal when LAV album reaches 40th anniversary, but I'm not holding my breath. LOL!

40 minutes ago, SonnyX said:

Just a quick question: is the silver vinyl release of Ray of Light still happening? I have not seen it on the RSD release list for november

There is no RSD release from Madonna this November.  So far nothing official has confirmed ROL silver vinyl, but it doesn't mean it isn't happening. 

5 hours ago, steady75 said:

Didn't Shame, Dear Father and You Are The One leak in HQ quality a while ago?

I need to find those somewhere. I only have quite shitty low quality files.

I think Shame and You Are The One did. I'm not sure if we ever got Dear Father in HQ, I would love it though. Could be wrong though.

I see I'm still causing a commotion here...

To answer @Honey LittleI guess you know which version of Goodbye to Innocence Warner wanted to be released, that's why M gladly sang Fever instead when doing the last vocals to it - and even more gladly she replaced GTI in favour of Fever.

There's an early Erotica tracklist that indeed included BOTH Fever and Goodbye to Innocence. I ain't a fortune teller but I can predict the GTI in question was the finalized Just Say Roe version. M's mindset would never allow such monstrousity to appear on her own album after all the debacle with the several rewritings (if I were her, I'd do the same). As a consolation prize, Warner had her thumbs up to put it to some charity compilation album forgotten in time and space. Someday, when M forgives all of this, Straight Pass version comes to daylight in full glory by any means.

14 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

I see I'm still causing a commotion here...

To answer @Honey LittleI guess you know which version of Goodbye to Innocence Warner wanted to be released, that's why M gladly sang Fever instead when doing the last vocals to it - and even more gladly she replaced GTI in favour of Fever.

There's an early Erotica tracklist that indeed included BOTH Fever and Goodbye to Innocence. I ain't a fortune teller but I can predict the GTI in question was the finalized Just Say Roe version. M's mindset would never allow such monstrousity to appear on her own album after all the debacle with the several rewritings (if I were her, I'd do the same). As a consolation prize, Warner had her thumbs up to put it to some charity compilation album forgotten in time and space. Someday, when M forgives all of this, Straight Pass version comes to daylight in full glory by any means.

Sorry. I don’t know any versions of GTI other than the monstrous track on Just Say Roe.

I am a huge fan of Fever and a bigger fan of Up Down Suite, but GTI is disappointing garbage. It should never have been released on that charity thing.

4 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

Sorry. I don’t know any versions of GTI other than the monstrous track on Just Say Roe.

I am a huge fan of Fever and a bigger fan of Up Down Suite, but GTI is disappointing garbage. It should never have been released on that charity thing.

So be prepared for this raw jewel that came right from the Library of Congress tapes (aka the "Rain Tapes"), leaked back in late 2006 together with the Final Demo 2 (aka the "You Thrill Me demo") off Erotica:

Of course it was ready to be polished and properly mixed/mastered but Warner just said "no, it's too much, you will rework the lyrics." So M did it only to insert the amazing cover of Fever instead.

This is simply Human Nature before Human Nature. No wonder this was present to the setlist of my AntiMadonna Tour in the thread @dankpepehad created a few weeks prior to original Celebration Tour launch date.

Now if only we had this instead of actual Human Nature. I would never mind to this being included on EVERY Madonna tour.