MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

and then of course re-released the following year when they could have put out another set - that was lazy imo ..

It was reissued the following year because the original red and black 6LP set was limited and sold out very quickly. Lots of fans wanted to get a copy, so it made sense to reissue it in larger quantities. 

10 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I really wish people would stop going on about FEL know - it was compilation album of stuff we already had - i could have made that collection myself plus it was released nearly 2 years ago now ... and then of course re-released the following year when they could have put out another set - that was lazy imo ..

And what do you expect the reissues to have? They're gonna be the same albums we've had for decades so I don't see your point. 

What's so frustrating is that there are plenty of examples of deluxe editions done right for way way smaller artists. Bands like durad duran did fantatsic box sets on all their albums, Smashing Pumpkins release 10 disc expansions of their records with artwork that is carefully curated from the archives.

One thing about all the vinyl releases is the really shoddy artwork on most re releases, the fonts etc look like they are scanned from a cd format and then blown up. It's just something I can't spend money on.

For boxsets it would have been so great to have something that archives the era, both in what was released as well as the unreleased stuff. The original album, cleaned up, not remastered into this brick wall of sound but just a bit more clear and louder, then with the original artwork (something like the japanese vinyl recreations would be great) then a faux cd maxi single on cd in cardsleeve for every single which tracklists different single and maxi releases and adds bonus mixes, all in artwork close to the original. Of course an extra disc with new artwork that focusses on unreleased material (depending on the album this can be extended to two discs and focus on demos or promo mixes etc) And it goes without saying that the whole thing is housed in an actual box that includes an extensive booklet with pictures and interviews with collaborators.

13 hours ago, Jackie said:

I think a lot has been achieved in 3 years- how many singles have been released digitally - RSD releases and the infamous FEL.

FEL is really the only thing we could describe as substantial to come our way. (And she still managed to fuck with it, sorry I mean “personally curate” it with CAC being dumped)

That’s it. A deleted picture disc for a song from her least successful era, while cute and thoughtful, is not a big deal. I do appreciate these little things for the die hards  but they really are the windows mite when it comes to availability of back catalogue.

I think it just speaks to how deprived of any kind of back catalogue goodies over the years we've been, that we get semi’s over the potential of an actual 7” version of a song (the version the world came to know and fall in love with) being made available on the major platform for music. While the majority of major artists have had the vast majority of theirs available for years. 

The press release led with the Expanded Editions angle. 
From the leaks she has suffered in recent times and questions from journalists about her vault, she knows well enough what the fans want and that a coloured vinyl with some old already available remixes just won’t cut it with much of the fanbase. 

The point of this Warner deal is to maximise profits. As one of the holy Trinity she can not be the first one to put out a Celebratory landmark edition with no new unreleased songs. Prince & Michael have done it and she knows she needs to too. 

Though they need to get a hurry on. The vinyl reassurance is reaching saturation point and vinyl fatigue is setting in with many collectors. The prices are making people less impulse led and people are saving their coin for the real must haves, often just one from each artist for their collection. I think Celebration vinyl will do really well. 

When they come and when they have the additional unreleased content, ( which let's be honest, is pretty much the bedrock of this entire forum),  she’ll have my money. Until then save the turtles tbh. 

1 hour ago, RyanUK said:

It was reissued the following year because the original red and black 6LP set was limited and sold out very quickly. Lots of fans wanted to get a copy, so it made sense to reissue it in larger quantities. 

Yes I know that - why not just put out a set that wasn’t limited in the first place - it just felt like a step back to me and another reason to delay the next release - 

11 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I really wish people would stop going on about FEL know - it was compilation album of stuff we already had - i could have made that collection myself plus it was released nearly 2 years ago now ... 

Thank you. It just goes to show how beaten Madonna fans have become. When the same thing happened in 2001 and GHV2 was released, most fans went nuts and were genuinely angry because a) there was no new song on it and b) all of the songs and edits had already existed one way or the other and people made their own GHV2 copies before it officially even dropped.

Cut to now and fans are calling FEL the new messiah. I don’t mind it. It was a fun release. Could have been better mastered but overall enjoyable. However, the second coming this was not. 

If the “curated deluxe reissues” are going to be on par with FEL and all of the digital single rereleases then they can keep them, not that we are getting anything in the foreseeable future anyways. My two cents. 

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

Yes I know that - why not just put out a set that wasn’t limited in the first place - it just felt like a step back to me and another reason to delay the next release - 

It wasn’t limited. They just underestimated the sales.

Anyway, I sold mine. I don’t need to be lifting a needle and flipping a vinyl every 3rd crackly song. The vinyl resurgence is the biggest scam, we just need all the streaming services to have lossless audio. It’s 2024 ffs not 1985. Vinyl went out for a reason.

29 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

As long as she's alive, there's...

NOTHING will / can be done to ANY of her album-S.

NO physical expansion, NO physical deluxe, NO physical boxset etc even if this thread reaches 1000 pages.

Your imagination / wish list will NOT be granted.

You can forget about it.

FACT.

Would you mind if I borrowed your crystal ball? I could do with knowing this weeks lottery numbers! 🙄🙈

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

It wasn’t limited. They just underestimated the sales.

Anyway, I sold mine. I don’t need to be lifting a needle and flipping a vinyl every 3rd crackly song. The vinyl resurgence is the biggest scam, we just need all the streaming services to have lossless audio. It’s 2024 ffs not 1985. Vinyl went out for a reason.

This exactly - considering everyone wants digital and space saves - why did vinyl even come back - did some celebrity whore it to death on social media and that’s why everyone went on a bandwagon - it had its day sorry 

3 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

This exactly - considering everyone wants digital and space saves - why did vinyl even come back - did some celebrity whore it to death on social media and that’s why everyone went on a bandwagon - it had its day sorry 

Even though I don't have it it requires a good space to save which is not dangerous in case you put the vinyl there and it's a big big job to keep them safe and they are not cheap! In a 3rd world country I don't do this

31 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Well there are of course people who have always collected vinyl. Some of those people include Madonna fans. I actually had a stash of 12” singles long before it was trendy. Some audiophiles enjoy the sound quality, it is different yes but better? I would say that’s subjective. As I said you get crackly sounds and you have to change it every 20 minutes. 

But the reason it became more popular was because record labels / artists pushed it on Gen Z to make money. Most of them probably have a cheap setup with bad sound so there’s really no point to it. This is the same generation that vapes though :laughing:

1 hour ago, LongIslandTea said:

As long as she's alive, there's...

NOTHING will / can be done to ANY of her album-S.

NO physical expansion, NO physical deluxe, NO physical boxset etc even if this thread reaches 1000 pages.

Your imagination / wish list will NOT be granted.

You can forget about it.

FACT.

That’s what a collector would say who is afraid that all the unreleased demos, alternative mixes and unreleased songs might see the day of light for such unworthy peasants like most of us. 

15 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

These are all feelings though - if you don't like what has been released so far, just say that, you're entitled to your opinion. What you have been doing here is presenting your feelings as facts which is why we have been responding with actual facts. Hopefully M will release something soon that you'll enjoy. 

I'm zero sentimental, so don't twist my comments so freely. If  you think there's feelings in my comments is just because YOU let YOUR own feeling interfere into something that wasn't meant that way, I was talking about facts, and how those facts developed so far. I'm criticising Warner, NOT Madonna. So why the hell can I not criticise Warner, may I ask? Why is everybody defending Warner? I don't get it. What has been released so far is NOT what we expected, but it looks  you are happy with the outcome of the godforsaken "deal" because YOU let your feeling for Madonna meddle in your comments. I don't. . The releases ARE few and far between, and Record Store Day stuff AND Madame X Live DO NOT count. Neither do count (for me at least), digital stuff. Why? Because you CAN'T keep that, I mean, she REMOVED many of the remixes out of the blue from the platforms. If you are going to make a spanning-career plan, I think it should last in time, in a long SPAN.

I think Madonna doesn't care about it, and this is actually a FEELING, a perception. She's always into the next thing. I wonder if she's overseeing this project,,,

3 minutes ago, Bjonkers said:

I think this thread needs to be closed until something is actually announced. Everything that can be discussed has already been discussed ad nauseam and is here in writing for all to ponder.

Every day here feels like....

downwardspiral-pattern.gif.0c08e052ef9c243f227f058b7f1df1d1.gif

No.

The thread about reissues has already been locked on madonnanations's forum. 
No need to lock it here too. 

It would also have taken less than a day to change the forthcoming Celebration track list and update it to tie in with the tour. 

Side A - 21:42

• Hung Up* -  3:23
  • Music - 3:46
  • Vogue* - 4:23
  • 4 Minutes - 3:10
  • Holiday* - 3:52
  • Like A Virgin - 3:08

Side B  - 21:53

• Everybody* - 3:57
  • Into The Groove* - 4:09
  • Express Yourself - 4:04
  • Like A Prayer* - 5:07
  • Ray Of Light - 4:36

Side C - 21:47

• Open Your Heart - 3:49
  • Sorry - 3:59
  • Secret - 4:28
  • Erotica - 4:34
  • Justify My Love - 4:54

Side D - 21:54

• Borderline - 3:58
  • Cherish - 3:51
  • Bad Girl - 4:46
  • Take A Bow* - 4:29
  • Don't Cry For Me Argentina4:50

Side E - 20.43

• Dress You Up - 3:58
  • Material Girl* - 3:53
  • La Isla Bonita* - 3:48
  • Human Nature - 4:30
  • Rain - 4:34

Side F - 21:56

• Papa Don't Preach* - 3:47
  • Lucky Star - 3:39
  • Burning Up - 3:43
  • Crazy For You - 3:44. 
  • Revolver - 3:40
  • GMAYL - 3.23

Side G - 21.49

• Frozen* - 5:09
  • Nothing Really Matters - 3:44
  • Bedtime Story - 4:08
  • Don't Tell Me - 4:11
  • Live To Tell* - 4:37

Side H - 22.17

• Beautiful Stranger* - 3:58
  • Die Another Day* - 3:27
  • Hollywood- 3:42
  • Who's That Girl - 3:59
  • Bitch I'm Madonna - 3:37
  • Celebration - 3:34

* denotes shorter available edit used

This would still fit on 4 discs and contain the eight main singles from The Celebration Tour that don't feature on the compilation.

22 mins is the maximum side you can have on a vinyl before the quality starts to becomes compromised.

Longest disc on original Celebration album was 21:31 so another 30 secs to minute would be fine

Digital Only tracks -

• I Don't Search I Find - 4:08 
  • Miles Away - 3:45

(which I removed from the vinyl version as it was likely only included because it had been her latest single)

In truth we could do with some Stuart Price "Shep" style edits on some of the 90's songs for any future compilations. Secret & Human Nature in particular have a fair bit of fat / repeats towards the end even in the single edit versions and I also love the Stevie B "no instrumental bridge" version of Bad Girl at 3:55

I'm a huge fan of really concise edits as long as they're really sympathetically done. 

It really is like ground hog day: every 50 pages there’s the usual people like me saying what we have had is not enough and then the other people writing 10 pages essays on why it is enough and we should rejoice on the limited edition vinyls not even available in all countries. 

I suppose this will go on and on until some kind of expanded album is released or one of the teams get exhausted 

18 hours ago, Jackie said:

FEL was an expanded collection of hits - some released for the first time digitally and some previous promo only mixes.

Does Madonna really has exact 50 no 1? Isn't there more of this? I mean, someone here pointed that she skipped some and put Me Against the Music to "capitalize on Britney fans".