Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones

Sorry but there is no way these remasters or reissues are targeted at Gen x or tweens - if you read the original press release and guy o seary comments - these releases are meant for Madonna fans who have waited years for unreleased demos Concerts etc - why would they buy a box set of a 63 year old artist as you say they want short songs as they have a short attention span and generally are very fickle- the frozen remix is just a fluke freak hit - that trap beat is not original and sick head could have used any artist vocal from Celine Dion to Ariana grande. Why did he choose Madonna I guess we will never know …

as an afterthought couldn’t they release the sticky and sweet tour final studio version of frozen ? ?

6 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Sorry but there is no way these remasters or reissues are targeted at Gen x or tweens - if you read the original press release and guy o seary comments - these releases are meant for Madonna fans who have waited years for unreleased demos Concerts etc - why would they buy a box set of a 63 year old artist as you say they want short songs as they have a short attention span and generally are very fickle- the frozen remix is just a fluke freak hit - that trap beat is not original and sick head could have used any artist vocal from Celine Dion to Ariana grande. Why did he choose Madonna I guess we will never know …

as an afterthought couldn’t they release the sticky and sweet tour final studio version of frozen ? ?

what are you on about , he has been mixing other artists songs for ages and its sickick ..why are you bashing him 

1 hour ago, Jackie said:

I agree, his remix isn't my cup of tea but I do appreciate that its gone viral - as long as it generates coin for the queen, she'll be living for it.

Hardly, artists make shit from streams. It takes 3 streams to make a penny. That’s why I’ll always buy physical. Such a shame the physical single is dead 

2 hours ago, TOpher said:

Hardly, artists make shit from streams. It takes 3 streams to make a penny. That’s why I’ll always buy physical. Such a shame the physical single is dead 

True, but streams generate ongoing income vs a physical copy - like you will buy one, you won't keep buying it each time you listen to it - 

I found some online calculator just for Spotify, based off M's monthly listens just on Spotify it's about $90k a month - just from Spotify, not including Apple Music or You tube - not bad! 

4 minutes ago, Jackie said:

True, but streams generate ongoing income vs a physical copy - like you will buy one, you won't keep buying it each time you listen to it - 

At this point its best not to expect any long term success with her future sales. Streaming is the present and looks like will continue to be the future and Madonna fans will continue to be more and more archaic.

I will never stream any Madonna song enough times to make up the value of buying in on three physical single formats and an album. That’s just the tea. Stopping physical products when it comes to her singles catalogue is one of the dumbest moves of her whole career by the record companies. I’d still be shelling out for 12” and CD maxis now. 

12 hours ago, Jackie said:

I did some calculations too and you would have to listen to a single song 1000 times to generate a bit over $4.00.

An album of 10 songs you'd have to play 500 times to generate $20.00. When you factor in that that profit is split between various parties it is nowhere near as good as physical sales for the artist.

On top of that how long do you imagine it would take to listen to a single song or album that many times? And how many people actually would? I would argue not many.

$90,000 may sound good to us but for an artist that well known it is a piss in the ocean compared to the royalty cheques she'd be getting from other sources. She's going to make way more money from her fans buying box sets than streaming I think.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

I did some calculations too and you would have to listen to a single song 1000 times to generate a bit over $4.00.

An album of 10 songs you'd have to play 500 times to generate $20.00. When you factor in that that profit is split between various parties it is nowhere near as good as physical sales for the artist.

On top of that how long do you imagine it would take to listen to a single song or album that many times? And how many people actually would? I would argue not many.

$90,000 may sound good to us but for an artist that well known it is a piss in the ocean compared to the royalty cheques she'd be getting from other sources. She's going to make way more money from her fans buying box sets than streaming I think.

I don’t think your calculations are entirely correct. Because with streaming you get many streams from people that would never buy the physical version. Plus it’s there to be streamed forever while the regular consumer buys it just once. 
Not to mention that streaming cuts of production costs so all the parties involved make a bigger profit. 
I’m sure the system and revenue was thought out in a way where it’s profitable for artists.

The issue Madonna has is that her streaming wasn’t handled correctly until recently and her numbers are not where they should be. But that’s improving.

59 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I’m sure the system and revenue was thought out in a way where it’s profitable for artists.

It’s not. Many artists are speaking out about it. Shirley Manson of Garbage has advocating and trying to do something to change how streaming works because with no festivals and concerts artists relying on streaming is not profitable at all. Until the live music scene is back to normal it’s been shit for artists. Especially artists who don’t have the popularity as Drake, Ariana, Weeknd etc who get all their songs flooded onto every playlist

1 minute ago, TOpher said:

It’s not. Many artists are speaking out about it. Shirley Manson of Garbage has advocating and trying to do something to change how streaming works because with no festivals and concerts artists relying on streaming is not profitable at all. Until the live music scene is back to normal it’s been shit for artists. Especially artists who don’t have the popularity as Drake, Ariana, Weeknd etc who get all their songs flooded onto every playlist

yeah for older artists i cant see it being any good , no wonder they tour so much ..we think madonna would have toured so much if streaming had not been a thing and albums still sold as they used to ..hell no lol

3 minutes ago, HampusFL said:

I do stream a lot, but it is not even half a lie...most artists earn more or less nothing from the streaming of their music...

t

5 minutes ago, HampusFL said:

I do stream a lot, but it is not even half a lie...most artists earn more or less nothing from the streaming of their music...

I think this is why a lot of artists lose inspiration to make new music - there is no money in it ..they all be touring more to try and make up for these losses 

Streaming benefits established artists - if you are new it's so competitive, I think something like a million songs or more gets uploaded every day to streaming platforms. So yes, it would be hard or impossible to make a living if you are new to it. 

Physical releases still have a place - but even back in the day, artists got very little - plus it was very controlled by labels. If you didn't have the backing of a label it was very hard for you to break through.

Mariah Carey had reportedly made something like $60million from streaming income just on her song All I want for Christmas (https://finance.yahoo.com/video/mariah-carey-earned-60-million-202722434.html).  I would imagine Madonna would have made a shit load over the years (accumulative). 

So the issue with streaming isn't an issue if you are established, have a fan base (very large fan base). It's if you are new, not as big etc. But even when physical releases existed, if you were new and if you didn't have the backing of a label, it was impossible for you to get your name out and release it - just too costly. 

So both have their pros and both have their cons - the new digital era means anyone can release music - but it also means it's SO COMPETITIVE with millions of songs uploaded every day.

Streaming is here to stay - if we wanted to artists to earn more per stream we would need to charge more for the subscription - but then that's an economics discussion :)

13 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Streaming benefits established artists - if you are new it's so competitive, I think something like a million songs or more gets uploaded every day to streaming platforms. So yes, it would be hard or impossible to make a living if you are new to it. 

Physical releases still have a place - but even back in the day, artists got very little - plus it was very controlled by labels. If you didn't have the backing of a label it was very hard for you to break through.

Mariah Carey had reportedly made something like $60million from streaming income just on her song All I want for Christmas (https://finance.yahoo.com/video/mariah-carey-earned-60-million-202722434.html).  I would imagine Madonna would have made a shit load over the years (accumulative). 

So the issue with streaming isn't an issue if you are established, have a fan base (very large fan base). It's if you are new, not as big etc. But even when physical releases existed, if you were new and if you didn't have the backing of a label, it was impossible for you to get your name out and release it - just too costly. 

So both have their pros and both have their cons - the new digital era means anyone can release music - but it also means it's SO COMPETITIVE with millions of songs uploaded every day.

Streaming is here to stay - if we wanted to artists to earn more per stream we would need to charge more for the subscription - but then that's an economics discussion :)

oh well in a world thats changing she is a stranger in a strange land :) 

i dont think madonna will ever have great streaming numbers ..do any older artists from her era get big numbers apart from mariahs christmas song of course lol
when i say big i mean , drake numbers or ariana or taylor or sheeran

On 2/5/2022 at 10:29 AM, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Didnt the Frozen S&S backdrop leak a few years ago. Is that the final version of the song. I did enjoy the way she used Calvin Harris' i'm not alone

I think some did leak from rehearsals but the voices were pitched. Someone did a brilliant version with the album vocals I downloaded a while back. Not sure if it's online or on here but it's wonderful!

49 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Well since I’ve joined Spotify my subscription has increased 3 times and artists aren’t seeing any of that increase so ?‍♂️

13 minutes ago, TOpher said:

Well since I’ve joined Spotify my subscription has increased 3 times and artists aren’t seeing any of that increase so ?‍♂️

Yea I think Spotify pays less than Apple Music. I'm an Apple Music subscriber. 

We also need to look beyond just Spotify - artists also earn income from Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music and any other deal they make - but again - it only benefits established - if you are new - yea I agree it's very hard!

If we use the figures from this site for M's streaming total for 2020 - https://fotpforums.com/topic/186136-madonnas-2020-streaming-stats/

She has a total of 537 million album streams - if each stream averages 1 cent - that's $5.3million.

Add another 356 million song streams - if each stream averages 1 cent - that's another $3.5 million.

So in total - $8.8million in passive income - even if it was half that - that's still $4.4 million - not bad! 

BUT I agree, if you look at Shirly Manson - she only has 438 monthly listeners on Spotify vs Madonna at 17.8 million - 

• RUADJAI changed the title to Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • Enrico pinned this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic