The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)

Shoful

1 hour ago, Diieeego said:

You’re missing out, it’s actually a lot of fun! I understand some people don’t like the oversimplification of drag that RPDR does, but if you’re looking for a genuinely fun show this is it! It’s like watching a soap opera, nothing too intelectual but fun nonetheless. 

(I am commenting on that you’ve never seen it. You might as well just like it. If you watch it and don’t like that’s perfectly fine too, it just seems weird to me saying “not all gays like the same thing” but you actually don’t know if you’ll like it because you’ve never watched it :))

I don’t have time to watch stuff I’m genuinely not interested in. I have though, been to a couple of drag shows and it really is not my thing and I don’t see how that’s so shocking. I’ve watched snippets of RPDR and I even tried to watch an episode on Netflix a few years ago after a friend insisted and I couldn’t get through the first 20 minutes. I don’t think I’m missing out. I don’t really enjoy any “reality show” but we’re getting a little off topic here. This was about some of us not too excited about Bob’s presence on the show and since there’s nothing we can do about it we’ll just have wait and see. Some will love it, some will hate it, some won’t even care and that’s it. 

8 hours ago, rga98 said:

Agree. I’ve never even watched that thing and most of my friends don’t care about it either. And they’re gay too. It’s just not entertaining or funny for every single gay out there. Not every gay likes the same things. Some gays aren’t even into Madonna or pop culture in general. It’s so stereotyped to think that we all enjoy the same stuff. The only universal thing all gays like is men. 

Exactly. There are even gay guys who listen to rock music, play football and have straight male friends. A lot of queer people pigeon hole themselves a lot as a way of self acceptance or gaining acceptance from others. Ironically often the ones advocating diversity, acceptance and being inclusive don't really live by it.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Even though I don't watch it I have lived with people that do in the past so have seen some of it. (Not enough to remember any of the famous contestant names that get thrown around.) Obviously I know who Rupaul is and the other lady who is the Madonna fan (forgotten her name.)

It's not that I don't understand the appeal of it, I just think it is trash TV that glorifies vindictive, catty behaviour and superficiality. The whole thing is beyond overrated at this point like the Kardashians or Real Housewives and is forced on us as gay men. I realise for some it is just a bit of light hearted fun and thats cool , we all need time to escape and have fun but too many gay men think these shows are the real world and dream of becoming like these people and its quite problematic. Queer people need better role models than Rupaul, Andy Cohen and all their minions. Sorry if that offends but that's how it is.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Lots of gays I know are all about trying (unsuccessfully) to be shady and many of their attitudes are copied from drag shows and reality shows in general. Completely agree.

13 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

Just because someone doesn’t care for a drag queen that happens to be black, doesn’t mean it’s because he’s black lol

I don’t mind Bob and he seems like a super nice guy on ‘We’re Here’, but people pay big $$ to see M, not Bob.

I don’t mind him doing the opening act, I just don’t want to see him scattered throughout the show.

Same here actually. Tbh I couldn’t care less about the opening act, I usually skip the opening acts unless it’s someone I really like (like when Sophie Ellis-Bextor opened for Kylie) but I don’t want to see him scattered throughout the show either. Would be like Britney’s Onyx Hotel Tour 

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Exactly. There are even gay guys who listen to rock music, play football and have straight male friends. A lot of queer people pigeon hole themselves a lot as a way of self acceptance or gaining acceptance from others. Ironically often the ones advocating diversity, acceptance and being inclusive don't really live by it.

I'm gay af and I listen to rock music and have mostly straight male friends. 
Madonna is the only pop star I listen to and closely follow. 
It is obvious that everyone has their own taste, if they do not like drag shows it is not for discriminatory reasons but for personal taste.

4 hours ago, rga98 said:

I don’t have time to watch stuff I’m genuinely not interested in. I have though, been to a couple of drag shows and it really is not my thing and I don’t see how that’s so shocking. I’ve watched snippets of RPDR and I even tried to watch an episode on Netflix a few years ago after a friend insisted and I couldn’t get through the first 20 minutes. I don’t think I’m missing out. I don’t really enjoy any “reality show” but we’re getting a little off topic here. This was about some of us not too excited about Bob’s presence on the show and since there’s nothing we can do about it we’ll just have wait and see. Some will love it, some will hate it, some won’t even care and that’s it. 

I too am not really into drag shows and RPDR. I don't hate them, but I don't love them either.
A few years ago I was dating a drag queen, I tried to appreciate what he did, once he even mentioned me in one of his shows as his "boyfriend" (I had been dating him for just two weeks, it was weird because he wasn't joking)... I honestly never found his shows funny, but he was in my opinion very untalented and overly stereotypical in the skits he offered.
But I know there are very good drag performers, I've seen some do amazing acrobatics when they dance on stage. And that's really amazing to see, I always enjoy watching good dancers.

I know that's not the case with Bob, I know he's not a dancer... I've only seen one of his videos and I didn't find it that funny.
But maybe I will change my mind, let's see.
I just hope he is not omnipresent in Madonna's show, I want an epic Madonna concert like her old tours.

All that aside, I just want to get a good understanding of how the stage will look and how she will move from one side to the other, it looks like three stages disconnected to the main stage.

20 minutes ago, Lorx said:

I'm gay af and I listen to rock music and have mostly straight male friends. 
Madonna is the only pop star I listen to and closely follow. 
It is obvious that everyone has their own taste, if they do not like drag shows it is not for discriminatory reasons but for personal taste.

I too am not really into drag shows and RPDR. I don't hate them, but I don't love them either.
A few years ago I was dating a drag queen, I tried to appreciate what he did, once he even mentioned me in one of his shows as his "boyfriend" (I had been dating him for just two weeks, it was weird because he wasn't joking)... I honestly never found his shows funny, but he was in my opinion very untalented and overly stereotypical in the skits he offered.
But I know there are very good drag performers, I've seen some do amazing acrobatics when they dance on stage. And that's really amazing to see, I always enjoy watching good dancers.

I know that's not the case with Bob, I know he's not a dancer... I've only seen one of his videos and I didn't find it that funny.
But maybe I will change my mind, let's see.
I just hope he is not omnipresent in Madonna's show, I want an epic Madonna concert like her old tours.

All that aside, I just want to get a good understanding of how the stage will look and how she will move from one side to the other, it looks like three stages disconnected to the main stage.

I totally feel you. I’m not even into the gay scene anymore, much less into drag related stuff. We’re all different that way and that’s ok! I also hope the tour will be epic. Tbh, so far, no Madonna tour has disappointed me so hopes are not that low. The stage is also a mystery to me. I think there will be elevators connecting the catwalks. I wonder if we’ll have flying objects like the RHT staircase and the Confessions disco ball. I also wonder if the show will be adapted to stadiums in case she visits Southamerica and/or Asia/Australia

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

It's not that I don't understand the appeal of it, I just think it is trash TV that glorifies vindictive, catty behaviour and superficiality. The whole thing is beyond overrated at this point like the Kardashians or Real Housewives and is forced on us as gay men. I realise for some it is just a bit of light hearted fun and thats cool , we all need time to escape and have fun but too many gay men think these shows are the real world and dream of becoming like these people and its quite problematic. Queer people need better role models than Rupaul, Andy Cohen and all their minions. Sorry if that offends but that's how it is.

I can't stand reality TV, don't watch any but I really enjoy Drag Race. I stayed away from it for many years precisely because I thought it's trash TV relying on bitchiness. But it's actually so much more than that. There's a huge heart at the centre of the show, it tackles many relevant issues regarding the LGBT community and it also challenged my own preconceptions about drag and perhaps some of my internalised homophobia. I'm not saying everyone should watch or enjoy it but I don't think it's fair to brush it off as another superficial reality TV trash. :) 

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

I can't stand reality TV, don't watch any but I really enjoy Drag Race. I stayed away from it for many years precisely because I thought it's trash TV relying on bitchiness. But it's actually so much more than that. There's a huge heart at the centre of the show, it tackles many relevant issues regarding the LGBT community and it also challenged my own preconceptions about drag and perhaps some of my internalised homophobia. I'm not saying everyone should watch or enjoy it but I don't think it's fair to brush it off as another superficial reality TV trash. :) 

I’ve seen entire episodes and that’s my opinion of it. All these reality shows have “heart,” they feature real people so there is always something the producers can dig up for the cameras to create an engaging show. It’s a formula we’ve seen for decades now. There are far better things I’d rather watch. Anyway I guess there’s no point talking about it since we clearly don’t like the same things. Let’s get back to Madonna shall we.

I think the intro should be a medley of her most iconic intros : Everybody, Lucky Star, Holiday (single), Borderline, the robotic Simms Brothers choir of Material Girl, "And you can dance, for inspiration" from Into The Groove, Vogue (What are you looking at + strings), Papa don't preach strings, the LAP Prince guitar, "Come on girls !".... that should totally make the blood rush through our veins nd then she should just break into Hey You, because it's Madonna and coïtus interruptus is her thing :)

4 hours ago, rga98 said:

I totally feel you. I’m not even into the gay scene anymore, much less into drag related stuff. We’re all different that way and that’s ok! I also hope the tour will be epic. Tbh, so far, no Madonna tour has disappointed me so hopes are not that low. The stage is also a mystery to me. I think there will be elevators connecting the catwalks. I wonder if we’ll have flying objects like the RHT staircase and the Confessions disco ball. I also wonder if the show will be adapted to stadiums in case she visits Southamerica and/or Asia/Australia

I considered positioning myself at the end of the central walkway so that I would never see her back turned. 
But of course I will only know if it is the right choice when I see the stage.
I, too, have not been disappointed so far. I liked the Madame X Tour less than the previous ones, but it wasn't bad. And I have high expectations for this tour. I expect a great setting... If Price's musical direction is there, our ears will enjoy it a lot, too. I know she will not dance that much or that if she does it she will look stiff and clumsy, but she will do her repertoire, it will be magnificent. And finally I think we will see her band playing and not relying on recorded instrumentals.

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

I think the intro should be a medley of her most iconic intros : Everybody, Lucky Star, Holiday (single), Borderline, the robotic Simms Brothers choir of Material Girl, "And you can dance, for inspiration" from Into The Groove, Vogue (What are you looking at + strings), Papa don't preach strings, the LAP Prince guitar, "Come on girls !".... that should totally make the blood rush through our veins nd then she should just break into Hey You, because it's Madonna and coïtus interruptus is her thing :)

Unfortunately, I could actually see this happening, except it going into Bitch I'm Madonna :rip: It's not a stretch for 2023 Madonna.

Or even worse, all of it leading up to "Hung up, yo lo que 'toy en nota".

7 minutes ago, musicinferno said:

Anyway...... 

Does anyone else think high-heels will be absent or very minimal on this tour? She's been very fond of flat boots since Madame X era. 

Well apart from that tiny little kitten heel of an excuse for a shoe she was wearing during the Dick Tracey segment she was in flats for BA, so it doesn't bother me. Of course there are flats and there are flats

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • meeshell featured this topic