Rehearsals (spoilers alert)

truerebel

4 minutes ago, Andreo said:

Madonna fans really have been begging for this song to be performed on tour for decades and now that there's a huge chance of it happening you all are disappointed or lowkey rejecting it... Stfu omg 💀 

Oh I’m definitely not rejecting it. It’s my #1 favourite Madonna song. I just don’t want to set myself up for disappointment if it doesn’t happen or ends up being a lame snippet/interlude/whatever.

23 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Oh I’m definitely not rejecting it. It’s my #1 favourite Madonna song. I just don’t want to set myself up for disappointment if it doesn’t happen or ends up being a lame snippet/interlude/whatever.

Yeah, I have no reason to "reject it".  I just don't buy she's going to open the show, singing NRM.  Maybe it will be part of the opening sequence.  It just doesn't seem like a song I would expect to open the tour that is to celebrate her whole career, when I think there are plenty of other iconic songs that will fit the bill.  But nothing is impossible because I know Madonna likes to mix things up. 

20231005_185140.jpg.c51513839da8818fc3f5

3 classics that have never been performed on tour?

• Physical Attraction
  • Dear Jessie
  • This Used To Be My Playground
  • Bad Girl
  • I'll Remember
  • I Want You
  • One More Chance
  • The Power Of Good-Bye
  • Nothing Really Matters
  • American Pie
  • Love Profusion

Only included as interludes:

• Rescue Me
  • Bedtime Story
  • Hollywood

Non-regularly performed:

• Take A Bow
  • You'll See
  • Don't Cry For Me Argentina
  • Ghosttown

I think Take A Bow will be performed either way. It’s her biggest #1 hit in the US and the DM statement clearly says "never performed on tour". Depending on whether they count interludes as performances these are my top guesses:

I'll Remember - The song is very self-reflective nostalgic. It's a very popular graduation/farewell song and actually one of her biggest hits from the 90s.

This Used To Be My Playground - Similar to I'll Remember, probably even more fitting.

Bad Girl - I think this one is unlikely but could perfectly represent the post SEX-book backlash part of her story. She is also aware that this is one of the desired songs and has apparently considered it herself.

Nothing Really Matters - One of the safest bets at this point.

The Power Of Good-Bye - Madonna herself views this as one of her "hits". It’s the only song from GHV2 that has never been performed on tour. She has also been teasing it quite a bit.

IF interludes are not viewed by DM as "performances", Rescue Me and/or Hollywood would be among my top guesses.

2 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

She opened her first tour in 8 years with a ballad only released in Europe as a single.

Sometimes I fee some of you see Madonna as Kylie (and I love Kylie). 

LOL, Kylie literally opened with a non-single in her 2001 tour, before DWT... why did you try to bring Kylie into this?

2 hours ago, McDonna said:

Yeah, I have no reason to "reject it".  I just don't buy she's going to open the show, singing NRM.  Maybe it will be part of the opening sequence.  It just doesn't seem like a song I would expect to open the tour that is to celebrate her whole career, when I think there are plenty of other iconic songs that will fit the bill.  But nothing is impossible because I know Madonna likes to mix things up. 

Absolutely. Same for me, i absolutely adore NRM and i pray it's part of the setlist. I just have a hard time believing it's the opening song. Ok the opening line fits the autobiographic theme but it's just the opening line, the rest of the lyrics doesn't make much sense as an opener for her life story. No, no and no, as much as i love the song i cannot picturing it being performed as opening song ! 

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

LOL, Kylie literally opened with a non-single in her 2001 tour, before DWT... why did you try to bring Kylie into this?

1 hour ago, cosmic_system said:

It wasn't Kylie first tour in 8 years. 

Well, Kylie's first tour in 7 years (Intimate & Live - 1998) opened with Too Far, that could be considered as a single only because it did have a vinyl release with some remixes that were commissioned back when it was planned originally as a proper album single, just and only to promote the remix album to songs from her latest album by then - but, on tour, she did the album version, not any remix aka single version. Btw Too Far is the equivalent on Impossible Princess to Drowned World/Substitute for Love, both open their parent albums and both have the same kind of impact to both artists/composers/singers and fans as being viscerally confessional.

Madonna's not Kylie and vice versa, but it happens people have things in common.

1 hour ago, sbrombolessio said:

That could be the perfect opener!

It was actually meant to be the opener to my selfcreated dream Anti-Madonna tour setlist (I shared it here, before, will edit this post later with the post link).

EDIT: here you've got it:

Bedtime Story would be the most perfect opener ever to such a tour concept.

I see her start the show with nothing really matters or every other song. I think some of y’all take the ‘biographical musical’ way too serious. I think it’s just a concert show just like all her other shows.
I just can’t with the people who always try to force a bs meaning to her concerts like journey or growing up or dark to light. Which tour was dark to light, and what does that even mean? Or what does ‘confronting her young self’ even mean? Is there actually a intro where she says ‘hello audience, I’m now going to confront my younger self, let me start by singing Superpop because my younger self needs to reach the top, enjoy the show’? She never presented her art this way. 
I just don’t think y’all should take the words of drownedmadonna too serious. 

9 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

Maybe she will just sit in the audience and watch the show with the rest of us hotdog eaters, as Bob lipsynchs all the songs.

Muy chistoso, piojo/very funny, dude.

The only way it'd be possible would be with her dead or in the ICU, but she has stated several times she hates repeating herself.

2 hours ago, broujeorbit said:

I just can’t with the people who always try to force a bs meaning to her concerts like journey or growing up or dark to light. Which tour was dark to light, and what does that even mean? 

You’d hate Madonna then since she herself has used some of these exact words and phrases to describe her tours.

”My show is not a conventional rock show but a theatrical presentation of my music. And like theater it asks questions, provokes thoughts and takes you on an emotional journey, portraying good and bad, light and dark, joy and sorrow, redemption and salvation.” -Madonna

17 hours ago, Anapausis said:

The Speakerphone insider on PopJustice told he had access to tour setlist back in the beginning of Summer, I guess, by late May/early June. Villanueva's statement was much earlier in the timeframe. (...)

Tony must've given his feedback back when CT2 was planned to be just a greatest hits tour as stated by press release. Guess they went with the idea of telling an autobiographical musical later on. (...)

@clkelley39 and @adirondak, digging deep down my theory from yesterday, maybe it can be useful rn.

4 hours ago, Sheridan1980 said:

Maybe it makes sense for Madonna and not for us 😅😂 or maybe it’s not the opener. We still have seven days to wait 🤪😛

Exactly.  We just have these rumors and it's not too impossible to think NRM will open the show as some posted.  I get it. It's just I would think for the theme of this being a "Celeebration", someone far more celebratory will open it.  It's just my two cents.  Like mentioned, we are days away in finding out and I.CAN'T.WAIT!!!

This NRM remix it's so good, maybe she can do a shorter reinterpretation of this, it can easily go well with full lyrics and a hint: it uses strings.

It's haunting at the beggining but then a nice beat comes on.

We know that there's someone at the tour who's going to play a strings instrument.

image.thumb.png.cc7a40db035e95c9e75f23aaa0bc8945.png

Edited by Alex the rebel heart (see edit history)