"Ain't No Big Deal" discussion

Holger

15 minutes ago, Celebration said:

I like it.

It's a silly little ditty, fun to dance to.

Of course it belongs on a reissue of Madonna. It's the song that got her the record contract, so it's very important to her career.
Apparantly there are three other, rejected, versions in the vault. I'd love to hear them too. :)

same, especially the 24trk Steve Bray demo and the Mark Kamins version.

9 minutes ago, Celebration said:

By the way. I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that the released version was remixed by Jellybean.
IF it's true, then there's an original version by Reggie Lucas in the vault! :Madonna034:

Technically, we already have the Reggie Lucas version with the Sigma Sound sessions. All that was added in comparison was a guitar track.

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

I'm really surprised that so many fans don't like it, it has all the elements of early Madonna...

Perhaps they are young and are more into 90's madonna

41 minutes ago, Celebration said:

By the way. I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that the released version was remixed by Jellybean.
IF it's true, then there's an original version by Reggie Lucas in the vault! :Madonna034:

In the vault there should be a Mark Kamins and a Steve Bray version that haven't surfaced (yet). The version we have as a b side is only produced by Lucas, no Jellybean 

Ain't No Big Deal"
July Fourth Music/Semi Automatic Music Inc. ASCAP
℗ 1984 Sire Records Company

image.jpeg.e92d8c616d9612573e916c91367cf2b5.jpegimage.jpeg.4b3271240c9bdd997e9666d1a6c21254.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Erotico said:

Perhaps they are young and are more into 90's madonna

In the vault there should be a Mark Kamins and a Steve Bray version that haven't surfaced (yet). The version we have as a b side is only produced by Lucas, no Jellybean 

Ain't No Big Deal"
July Fourth Music/Semi Automatic Music Inc. ASCAP
℗ 1984 Sire Records Company

image.jpeg.e92d8c616d9612573e916c91367cf2b5.jpegimage.jpeg.4b3271240c9bdd997e9666d1a6c21254.jpeg

I found the article!

Steve Barron wrote this back in 1999, and here's whet he had to say about this song:

Many are surprised to learn that the song that won Madonna over to
Sire Records company president Seymour Stein has never appeared on
any of her own albums. Madonna's first Warner Brothers single
"Everybody" was released in April 1983 and was produced by club DJ
Mark Kamins (a rare remix by Rusty Egan was used on the vinyl 12"
for the UK release only). Bray revealed, "Everybody was supposed
to be her second release, not her first." After Madonna was signed
in late 1982, several versions of "Ain't No Big Deal" were
recorded with different producers in an effort to get the most out
of the song. The first production was a 24track master recorded
with Stephen Bray. The second production was done with Mark
Kamins, and the third version was done with Reggie Lucas. The
final production was a remix by Jellybean Benitez based on the
Bray version. Once the record company decided to spend the time to
produce several different versions of "Ain't No Big Deal",
"Everybody" was issued as Madonna's first single instead.

Bray however got the sole writing credit for "Ain't No Big Deal"
and in the meantime sold his publishing rights to July Fourth
Music. Disco act Barracuda then recorded and released their own
version on Epic Records before Warner Brothers had selected which
Madonna version to use for her release. The song was then dropped
from her first album and Madonna's then boyfriend Jellybean
Benitez found and produced what would later become Madonna's first
American top 40 single "Holiday" as the replacement. Years later
the Reggie Lucas production of "Aint No Big Deal" was released on
the B-side of the "True Blue" single, but the other versions
remain unreleased. Bray added; "There was also another version of
"Everybody " that Madonna used during club performances remixed by
Jellybean Benitez, which has also has never been released."

So I misremembered who did what. :)

If someone wants to read the whole thing, you can find it here:
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.fan.madonna/c/Tdex7sSpUEw?pli=1

12 hours ago, migsou said:

"everybody" is no "...baby one more time" or "crazy in love" when it comes to a first single. "holiday" is that bitch though :polish:

Madonna didn't have the major label push those women had. The label were just testing the waters with her, she was kind of seen as a underground dance act, not a priority for the label. It wasn't until she signed with Freddy and signed for a full album that started to change.

Those other women you mentioned had those singles hand picked for them and a huge marketing push behind them.

16 hours ago, Holger said:

I'm currently re-listening her albums from the beginning with a friend.

I have "Ain't No Big Deal" attached to her debut album. To me it's the weakest song from this era. I can't believe that Sire even considered this to be her debut single.

What do people on here thing about this song?

I like it. It's a better song than Everybody. But Everybody probably worked better in the clubs so was a better starting point.

"I know it" and "Ain't no big deal" are the two weakest tracks of the first album sessions. "Everybody" comes third but it's better, at least it has that 'club underground' feel, it's just the chorus that is a bit irritating. The best part of "Everybody" is actually the spoken parts. Sometimes i think she's "screams" too much on the rest of the song, choruses & verses included. Maybe a more sensual way of singing would have worked better with that smooth deep funky sound, or at least more variations in the singing.

I remember the first time i hear "ain't no big deal" as a b side of the 12" "papa don't preach" . I preferred it to the boring 'I Know it" the only thing i dislike was the sound of the synth before she sing the verse.

Somewhere in this forum  someone posted the supposed Mark Kamis version and Steve Bray in studio demo .

The one i prefer is the "pre madonna version" the production is poor but has a fresh approach that the other version missed.

🤷‍♂️

Although Everybody is not a hit, it's a manifesto. It perfectly depicts Madonna's philosophy.

ANBD is a nice song (I like it and I was so happy when I found it as a bside) but it's not an anthem.

The fake demo that leaked months ago has a very catchy 80s sound and it shows the song's potential. With all these mixes that were tried and not released they have incredible material to put in the special anniversary release that will never see the light of day.

22 hours ago, Holger said:

I'm currently re-listening her albums from the beginning with a friend.

I have "Ain't No Big Deal" attached to her debut album. To me it's the weakest song from this era. I can't believe that Sire even considered this to be her debut single.

What do people on here thing about this song?

I was about to say the same thing. It’s even weaker than what I personally consider the worst from Self-Titled. 

Everybody was more edgy and I think that song is what initially caught people's attention in the club scene. Ain't No Big Deal is cute as b-side but that’s really about it.

The sentiment of "Ain't No Big Deal" is felt elsewhere throughout the entire MADONNA record/first album and there are gentle reminders throughout songs/albums that would follow, even to present day! Even though she doesn't have writing credit on "Ain't No Big Deal", which I only noticed a few years ago!?!...that song is special. It's like a Charms Blow Pop. A red one. She has two and she's sharing one with you.

:Madonna036:

:fantasy:

J

5 hours ago, Champ said:

The sentiment of "Ain't No Big Deal" is felt elsewhere throughout the entire MADONNA record/first album and there are gentle reminders throughout songs/albums that would follow, even to present day! Even though she doesn't have writing credit on "Ain't No Big Deal", which I only noticed a few years ago!?!...that song is special. It's like a Charms Blow Pop. A red one. She has two and she's sharing one with you.

:Madonna036:

:fantasy:

J

Fwiw I believe both Everybody and ANBD were co-written by her and Steve but they agreed to split sole writing credits on the two early on. At least that’s what I’ve read a few times over the years.

Let’s keep talking about it so when Emily checks in she notices the squirrels want it on streaming.

Ain’t no big thing uh uh uh uh uh

It’s a fun song, her delivery is strong and earnest. The Pre-Madonna version is the first one I heard and it’s glorious but the released version is super let’s go to the mall goodness.