Opinions on Evita

Blue Skies

Being still fairly new here I’m kind of surprised Evita doesn’t seem to come up all that much in the movie threads.  Or maybe it’s been beaten to death here in the past?  

But anyway I would think to the public that’s regardless as her best performance in the movies.  I mean she won a Golden Globe for it.

I was in middle school when it came out.  I remember an MTV special at the premiere of it but back then it bore no interest in me at all to watch it.  Even once I got more interested/liking Madonna this was never a movie at the top of my list to watch.  During the pandemic though I finally gave it a try.  Her performance was good but I thought the movie was all right.  My feeling was I didn’t know enough about Eva Peron to have strong feelings about it 

I think it’s a lovely and well made film. It’s refreshing to see such a big budget movie musical that doesn’t rely on cheap sets and cgi. It’s really remarkable to see all the details that’s put into each and every scene. (They don’t make movies like this anymore).

Madonna also serves cunt in this movie. She’s dressed to the nines, even during the Eva the whore days. I love all the costumes.

I think her greatest aspect in this movie is the fact that it’s a 2 hr music video, and her weakest aspect is that it’s a 2 hr music video. Her “acting” is superb, but doesn’t really “come alive” until Eva is on her death bed.

also

watching it with a group of people (especially in a theater) vs by yourself will be 2 very different experiences. I had a chance to see this on 35mm last month during the Madonna film series at the Roxy cinema in NYC. And what a joy that was! Evita is a glorified satirical take on Eva’s life as a whore. A whore who will stop at nothing to achieve success and power. Sleeping her way to the top, only to get more than what she bargained for. It’s humorous. 

I saw it  at the cinema when it came out with a friend that was'nt  the biggest Madonna fan. And we both loved it.

I watched it in a couple of occasions after and I still feeling she is good in it, particularly the vocal side of it. But it's not a movie I like to come back to like Susan or League. I like musicals but I'm not that crazy about Evita, never been. There are good tracks but I'm it's not something I play often. I also don't care about the Peron saga.

Adore it! Yes went to the preview week in London sobbing by eyes out. Its was such a big spectacle. Everyone was walking out crying. 

Love 90% of the score there are some really good classic score. She was amazing, yes exp the end 'live' scenes. Her voice emotions are al so good. It was a huge hit in the UK about 10 weeks at number 1. 

I can understand some people might think its dated long or not interested in the history, its not for everyone. I dont think anyone could say it or she is bad though. Personally its amazing, better after multi views and you know the music. 

3 hours ago, deathproof said:

I think it’s a lovely and well made film. It’s refreshing to see such a big budget movie musical that doesn’t rely on cheap sets and cgi. It’s really remarkable to see all the details that’s put into each and every scene. (They don’t make movies like this anymore).

Madonna also serves cunt in this movie. She’s dressed to the nines, even during the Eva the whore days. I love all the costumes.

I think her greatest aspect in this movie is the fact that it’s a 2 hr music video, and her weakest aspect is that it’s a 2 hr music video. Her “acting” is superb, but doesn’t really “come alive” until Eva is on her death bed.

also

watching it with a group of people (especially in a theater) vs by yourself will be 2 very different experiences. I had a chance to see this on 35mm last month during the Madonna film series at the Roxy cinema in NYC. And what a joy that was! Evita is a glorified satirical take on Eva’s life as a whore. A whore who will stop at nothing to achieve success and power. Sleeping her way to the top, only to get more than what she bargained for. It’s humorous. 

the issue I have with this movie is that it feels like she's dying or getting ready to die for the entire duration, like a 2 hour long funeral and it always makes me slightly uneasy watching it, so I avoid it.

I love Evita! It’s like one huge Madonna music video! The first time I saw it was on a trip to Jackson, Wyoming(to watch a sled dog race). Surprisingly, the theatre was packed. I was not disappointed. I was in heaven with it all. When I look back, I think it was a huge and defining moment of her career for everything she was about and could do.  

I like it, it's a decent, grand musical with fine performances. Evita is one of those movies whose main star shades all of the rest. Alan Parker, the cast, the score, the production? Excellent. Yet, none of these made cinema history. The film will always be the one where M nailed it.

I absolutely love Waltz for Eva and Che, my favourite scene. 

Funnily, people who don't know care much for Madonna but know I do sometimes bring DCFMA up as a reference. It's a quite popular hit, from one of the past eras people remember.

An interesting era for her. Perfect timing with Lola and the lead up to ROL. The stars seemed extra aligned. It's wild to think it almost happened in 1990. Imagine going from Blonde Ambition to Evita to Erotica...

The Miami mix of DCFMA was really big on the radio here in NYC.

The only negative for me is that we didn't get a Bedtime Stories tour. And if I'm being really honest, her doing that album live + the classics...I would trade Evita for that.