MadonnaInfinity -- Best Madonna Song COUNTDOWN

MeantToBeIconic

We're jumping right in to it with...

Posted Image

#159 -- Gambler

Average: 7.05

Highest: 10x1 (@@rol1974)

Lowest: 2x1 (@@NowRadiate)

Average. Better than those other three or so we eliminated from LAV already, but still average. It was really nothing new, but I would've appreciated it on Like a Virgin instead of any of those others.

Next...

Posted Image

#158 -- Runaway Lover

Lowest: 4x1 (@@Alibaba)

Lyrically, this is better than Nobody's Perfect, but I'm not so sure about production wise. I think Music is one of Madonna's more cohesive albums, and I love the production of the whole thing, Amazing excepted. I really like the way she did this song, and the lyrics are just awesome.

Next...

Posted Image

#157 -- Secret Garden

Highest: 10x4 (@@stefo, @@NowRadiate, @@InfinityWithin, and @@rol1974)

Lowest: 1x1 (@@musicinferno)

I love sultry jazz, so I love this. The drums sound a tad out of place, but still. Leave it to Erotica to cook up the hottest Erotic jazz jam.

Next...

a remix of a song that previously left us...

Posted Image

#156 -- It's So Cool

Average; 7.1

Highest: 10x2 (@@rol1974 and @@Re-InventionUK)

Lowest: 4x2 (@@Alibaba and @@musicinferno)

I'm not going to lie, I like this better than the American Life demo. The remix instrumental fits in perfectly with "Celebration", and the restructured verse/chorus pattern somehow just works better. You got me as to why, but it does.

Next...

Posted Image

#155 -- History

Average: 7.1

Highest: 10x5 (@@slave, @@rol1974, @@InfinityWithin, @GHouse, and @@Re-InventionUK)

Lowest: 3x1 (@@Alibaba)

Oh, the demo is just too good. But the album version is great too. I can't believe or even BEGIN to comprehend how this didn't make Top 100. It's really good. The lyrics are superb, the production is on point, its from the Confessions Era, which is reason enough. Y'all are just so hard to please, aren't you?

Second half coming later. Enjoy!

I stayed away from too long!! 

Heartbeat: maybe non that special, but it creates an atmosphere, exactly as Dance tonight. Far better that The beat goes on which is so repetitive... on and on and on!

Goodbye to innocence: original and mature, it anticipates Human nature and Nothing really matters. But not really erotic to fit the album, maybe. Musically it does, though!

I don't give a: I like it, it exorcise the stress of always working, like a do. And the line "I diminished myself, I tried to become all you that you'd expect of me and if it was a failure I don't give a...": oh, she's written my biography!

Survival: love at first listen. I cannot understand how it can be below Your honesty!?! :Madonna002:

What can you lose: Mandy Patinkin, Stephen Sondheim. Do I have to say more to prove it's a gem?

Don't think the same for "Now I'm following you"... I'm sleeping already, and Warren sucks!

Like a flower: I once read that it's an outtake because too many Madonna songs have "Like a" as a title, maybe it's true, pity...

Candy perfume girl: you all know that I was waiting for the moment for this song to go. Yeah! The one I hate most.

In this life: so beautiful, and one of the most memorable live renditions.

Shanti etc: I'm not in love with "oriental religion" Madonna. Definitely I vote for I'm a sinner and especially The beast within!! Should have never been just a remix!!

Gambler: one of my favourites. Maybe because I fought so hard to find it on vinyl... so many years ago... And when I bought the japanese La isla bonita maxi single, I decided it was time to buy a cd player, too.

:mama010:

It's so cool: why wasn't it included in American Life? Twelve songs are too many??? And why wasn't it included in Celebration? Three new songs are too many???????

:Madonna037:

Not sad at all for History and Runaway lover, I always skip this one. Actually Music is a very cohesive, I agree, but for me it starts from track four.

That's all folks! Thanks for reading!!

I stayed away from too long!! 

Heartbeat: maybe non that special, but it creates an atmosphere, exactly as Dance tonight. Far better that The beat goes on which is so repetitive... on and on and on!

Goodbye to innocence: original and mature, it anticipates Human nature and Nothing really matters. But not really erotic to fit the album, maybe. Musically it does, though!

I don't give a: I like it, it exorcise the stress of always working, like a do. And the line "I diminished myself, I tried to become all you that you'd expect of me and if it was a failure I don't give a...": oh, she's written my biography!

Survival: love at first listen. I cannot understand how it can be below Your honesty!?! :Madonna002:

What can you lose: Mandy Patinkin, Stephen Sondheim. Do I have to say more to prove it's a gem?

Don't think the same for "Now I'm following you"... I'm sleeping already, and Warren sucks!

Like a flower: I once read that it's an outtake because too many Madonna songs have "Like a" as a title, maybe it's true, pity...

Candy perfume girl: you all know that I was waiting for the moment for this song to go. Yeah! The one I hate most.

In this life: so beautiful, and one of the most memorable live renditions.

Shanti etc: I'm not in love with "oriental religion" Madonna. Definitely I vote for I'm a sinner and especially The beast within!! Should have never been just a remix!!

Gambler: one of my favourites. Maybe because I fought so hard to find it on vinyl... so many years ago... And when I bought the japanese La isla bonita maxi single, I decided it was time to buy a cd player, too.

:mama010:

It's so cool: why wasn't it included in American Life? Twelve songs are too many??? And why wasn't it included in Celebration? Three new songs are too many???????

:Madonna037:

Not sad at all for History and Runaway lover, I always skip this one. Actually Music is a very cohesive, I agree, but for me it starts from track four.

That's all folks! Thanks for reading!!

This. Do more this

Here we go!

Posted Image

#154 -- Amazing

Highest: 10x2 (@@rol1974 and @@devilpray)

Lowest: 4x1 (@@NowRadiate)

Average. Worst from Music. How this above the other two, I'll never know, but I guess some people like "Beautiful Stranger" sound-a-likes.

Posted Image

#153 -- To Have and Not To Hold

Highest: 10x4 (@GHouse, @@stefo, @@Re-InventionUK, and @@unapologeticheart)

Lowest: 1x1 (@@devilpray)

When I first heard this, I didn't like it. Then I listened again, and again, and again, (Over and Over, you might say), and now it's one of my Top 13 from ROL. I love the understated, simple chorus, and the instrumental is easily one of the best on that whole album.

Posted Image

#152 -- Bye Bye Baby

Highest: 10x1 (@@devilpray)

Lowest: 3x1 (@@Alibaba)

Meh. Not single-worthy, imo. I love the single cover, and the percussion is great. Madonna's vocals are hit-or-miss on this one. The verses are ok, but the chorus is really good.

Posted Image

#151 -- Fever

Highest: 9x1 (@)

Lowest: 5x4 (@@NowRadiate, @@slave, @@voguemadonna, and @@Alibaba)

Not a single 10. And it made it this far. Impressive. FYI, Erotica will be losing quite a few tracks this go around. Yowza. Anyway, I really like this cover! It does the original good, and it fits the album really well.

Posted Image

#150 -- Now I'm Following You (Part 1)

Highest: 10x3 (@@rol1974, @@voguemadonna, @@InfinityWithin)

Lowest: 4x1 (@@musicinferno)

Ok, as much as I like the beats in Part II, I love this one. It's really pretty, and jazzy, just like the others from this album. I'm tired of reviewing the ones from I'm Breathless. I have a feeling none of you even read my commentary for this one.

Posted Image

#149 -- True Blue

Highest: 10x3 (@@InfinityWithin, @@groovyguy, and @@Re-InventionUK)

Lowest: 5x1 (@@voguemadonna)
I never liked this one that much. It was cute, lovey-dovey, and 80's, which was fine, but nothing special. But then I started thinking, and it just has this charm. I'm not sure where it's from, but something about this track just puts smiles on all the faces around. And I liked it a lot more from there.

Posted Image

#148 -- Liquid Love

Average: 7.15

Highest: 10x3 (@@rol1974, @@InfinityWithin, and @@Re-InventionUK)

Lowest: 4x3 (@@devilpray, @@Alibaba, and @@slave)

If you had to sum up the transition from ROL to Music in one song, it's this one. I always found the production a bit... bubbly. I like the lyrics, and the vocals are really nice and sweet.

Posted Image

#147 -- Push

Highest: 10x3 (@@rol1974, @@NowRadiate, and @@devilpray)

Lowest: 4x1 (@@Alibaba)

Yeah, this is about where this one belongs. This one is the weakest of the "official" COADF tracklist. The bongo beats are cool, but the lyrics aren't, and neither is the vocal delivery, for that matter.

Posted Image

#146 -- Thief of Hearts

Highest: 10x1 (@@voguemadonna)

Lowest: 3x1 (@@sidney78a)

Bitch. I love Vindictive-donna. And I love the beats on this one. The chorus could use some help. But the bridge "you screw it, you fake it" is literally perfection. But not all that memorable. That's all I remember from the song, basically.

Posted Image

#145 -- White Heat

Highest: 10x2 (@@voguemadonna and @@NowRadiate)

Lowest: 4x1 (@@Re-InventionUK)

I knew from the mobster intro that I would like this song. And I do. I don't care for 80's Madonna so much aside from the singles, but this one is something else. The chorus, the mobster, the pre-chorus. It's all just great. Just great.

Posted Image

#144 -- Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Lowest: 5x1 (@@Re-InventionUK)

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the remix. However, this is probably right where it belongs. I really wanted to rate it high, but there was something inside me preventing from doing so. Now it's placing will forever haunt me....

Posted Image

#143 -- Revenge

Average: 7.2

Highest: 10x4 (@@unapologeticheart, @@devilpray, @@NowRadiate, and @@rol1974)

Lowest: 3x2 (@@Fighter and @@musicinferno)

The piano line in the chorus is nice. The lyrics seem disjointed from each other and sound weird. The production's ok, but this would never belong on the lux n' plush ROL

Posted Image

#142 -- Queen

Highest: 10x2 (@@rol1974 and @@groovyguy)

Lowest: 3x1 (@@musicinferno)

I'm sad but understanding this didn't make the final tracklist. But it's a nice song. I almost cried when I heard it first. It wasn't where a song called "Queen" was expected to go, but I really liked it, I like the lyrics and vocals, and the production is great. God save the Queen.

Posted Image

#141 -- Beat Goes On (feat. Kanye West)

Highest: 10x4 (@@voguemadonna, @@rol1974, @@Re-InventionUK, and @@musicinferno and @[member='groovyguy')

Lowest: 1x1

Top 5 from Hard Candy right here. This pop n' urban just right. I love Kanye's verse. He brings it. I just really like this one. The production is great. Madonna's vocals are pretty good. The should've-been-a-single, tbh.

So many tens.....

but it still couldn't crack Top 100...

Posted Image

#140 -- Bitch I'm Madonna (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Highest: 10x3 (that's it? damn) [@MeantToBeIconic, @@InfinityWithin, and @@groovyguy]

Lowest: 4x1 (@@stefo) [@@Fighter ban him]

WTF YOU ALL HAD ONE JOB AND YOU FAILED HORRIBLY THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE TOP 5 BECAUSE IT IS. THIS SONG IS LITERALLY THE BEST THING I'VE HEARD SINCE GET TOGETHER AND THE VIDEO WAS LITERALLY PERFECTION AND THEN SOME THEY LYRICS FIT THE ATTITUDE PERFECTLY AND DIPLO AND SOPHIE LET US KNOW WHAT HEAVEN'S LIKE FYI IT'S THOSE DROPS THAT'S WHAT HEAVEN'S LIKE

Opinions? Thoughts? Criticisms? Discuss  :polish: 

:Madonna052: :Madonna052: :Madonna052: :Madonna052: :Madonna052: :Madonna052: :Madonna052: :Madonna052:

''Amazing'', really? I don't know why everyone hates that song! It is a ''Beautiful Stranger'' twin, but you gotta admit it, that track is wonderful!!!! This is the round where I suffered the most, but well...

I'm pretty upset about what we've lost here; ''Thief Of Hearts'', ''Fever'', ''To Have And Not To Hold'', ''True Blue''...They're not the best from their parent albums but they deserved our mercy, tbh

''Bitch, I'm Madonna''  :Madonna051: You all have no soul

So many favourites left out this time. I have to spend a few words to defend some songs I love, sorry  :cute:

To Have and Not To Hold for me is the perfect example of her talent when it comes to create a perfect and cohesive pop mix of different elements: the bossanova tempo with a kind of oriental suggestion, the simple and yet spiritual lyrics with a very sensual atmosphere all over the song and the singing, the elegance of a subtle and delicate melody with such a memorable pop chorus.

Fever is so much about her artistic personality imo, like I Want You (let's spare that one please). Not an easy thing, singing standards and being able to make a one's own song in such a way.

The video remix (quite similar to the album version though) is perfection: I ALWAYS die for those basses and, once again, for her voice: sexy and mature, never exaggerated.

Love Don't Live Here Anymore is among her earliest proof of the extraordinay talent she's got as a dramatic performer. In this song I can find the perfect balance of fragility and rage, and in general of strenght and weakness, that makes me touched when M delivers complete honesty in her work. The crazy thing is that when she sings it live in these days I can feel that kind of shiver again, 31 years later.

The orchestrations is classy and powerful, her voice is perfect and I like so much the male vocals effect in this one.

Also Revenge,True Blue and Amazing (a better version of Beautiful Stranger for me) are not that bad.

Now it's very interesting to see wich Madonna will mostly hit the top 30. The hitmaker? The disco queen? The great performer and songwriter? This game is always more intriguing as long as the days go by  :yarn:

Btw @ MeantToBeIconic I gave Beat Goes On a 10 not 1

[updated] Results recap so far:

Many THANKS to MeantToBeIconic for taking the time in compiling the results!!!

#140-#154 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=179258

140 -- Bitch I'm Madonna (feat. Nicki Minaj) [Rebel Heart]

141 -- Beat Goes On (feat. Kanye West) [Hard Candy]

142 – Queen [Rebel Heart]

143 – Revenge [Ray of Light Era]

144 -- Love Don't Live Here Anymore [Like a Virgin]

145 -- White Heat [True Blue]

146 -- Thief of Hearts [Erotica]

147 – Push [COADF]

148 -- Liquid Love [Music Era]

149 -- True Blue [True Blue]

150 -- Now I'm Following You (Part 1) [i’m Breathless]

151 – Fever [Erotica]

152 -- Bye Bye Baby [Erotica]

153 -- To Have and Not To Hold [Ray of Light]

154 – Amazing [Music]

#155-#159 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=174524

155 – History [COADF]

156 -- It's So Cool [Greatest Hits]

157 -- Secret Garden [Erotica]

158 -- Runaway Lover [Music]

159 – Gambler [Non Album Single]

#160-#169   http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=173794

160 -- Justify My Love (The Beast Within Remix) [JML Maxi- Single]

161 – Heaven [Rebel Heart Era]

162 -- Dear Jessie [Like a Prayer]

163 -- I'd Rather Be Your Lover [Bedtime Stories]

164 -- I'm A Sinner [MDNA]

165 -- Your Honesty [Remixed & Revisited]

166 -- In This Life [Erotica]

167 -- Candy Perfume Girl [Ray of Light Era]

168 -- Shanti/Ashtangi [Ray of Light Era]

169 -- Revolver (feat. Lil Wayne) [Greatest Hits]

#170-#179 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=173594

170 -- Now I'm Following You (Part II) [I’m Breathless]

171 -- Nobody's Perfect [Music]

172 -- Like a Flower [Ray of Light Era]

173 -- What Can You Lose [I’m Breathless]

174 – Survival [Bedtime Stories]

175 – Illuminati [Rebel heart]

176 -- Lo Que Siente La Mujer [Music]

177 -- I Don't Give A (feat. Nicki Minaj) [MDNA]

178 -- Goodbye To Innocence (the final remixed one) [Erotica Era]

179 – Heartbeat [Hard Candy]

#180-#184 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=168446

180 -- Little Star [Ray of Light]

181 -- I Fucked Up [MDNA]

182 -- No Substitute For Love [Ray of Light Era]

183 – More [I’m Breathless]

184 – Cyberraga [Music]

#185-#189 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=168402

185 -- Candy Shop [Hard Candy]

186 -- Turn Up the Radio [MDNA]

187 -- Body Shop [Rebel Heart]

188 -- S.E.X. [Rebel Heart]

189 -- Graffiti Heart [Rebel Heart]

#190-#194 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=165896

190 -- Cool Song [American Life Era]

191 -- Over and Over [Like a Virgin]

192 -- Gone Gone Gone [Ray of Light Era]

193 – Triggering [COADF Era]

194 -- Love Don't Live Here Anymore (Remix) [Something to Remember]

#195-#199 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=165877

195 -- He's a Man [I’m Breathless]

196 -- Like an Angel Passing Through My Room [Music Era]

197 – Run [Music Era]

198 -- Pala Tute (aka Latte) [Hard Candy Era]

199 -- Nothing Lasts Forever [Rebel Heart Era]

Previous Results

#200-#268 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=164289

Album Tally

Album Rank / Album Title / # of Eliminated Tracks / Total Tracks / Eliminated Tracks

1. American Life: 0/11 

2. Who’s That Girl: 1/4: Can't Stop [245]

3.  Madonna: 2/8: I Know It [231]; Think of Me[213]

3. Something to Remember: 2/7: One More Chance[224]; Love Don't Live Here Anymore (Remix)[ 194]

5. Like a Prayer: 3/11: Act of Contrition [239]; Love Song (with Prince)[ 214] / Dear Jessie[162]

5. Bedtime Stories: 3/11: Don't Stop[220] / Survival[174] / I'd Rather Be Your Lover[163]

7. True Blue: 4/11: Love Makes the World Go Round[248] / Jimmy Jimmy[263] / True Blue[149] / White Heat[145]

7. COADF: 4/15: Superpop[240] / Fighting Spirit[209] / History[155] / Push[147]

7. Ray of Light: 4/15: Little Star[180] / Candy Perfume Girl[167] / Shanti/Ashtangi[168] / To Have and Not To Hold[153]

10. Like a Virgin: 5/10: Pretender[238]; Stay[243]; Shoo-Bee-Doo[256]; Over and Over[191] / Love Don't Live Here Anymore[144]

10. Music: 5/13: Cyberraga[184] / Lo Que Siente La Mujer[176] / Nobody's Perfect [172] / Runaway Lover[158] / Amazing[154]

12. Erotica: 6/14: Did You Do It?[268] / In This Life[166] / Secret Garden[157] / Bye Bye Baby[152] / Fever[151] / Thief of Hearts[146]

12. Rebel Heart: 6/25: Autotune Baby[249] / Holy Water[203] / Body Shop[187] /

S.E.X.[188] / Illuminati[175] / Bitch I'm Madonna (feat. Nicki Minaj)[ 140]

14. I’m Breathless: 7/12: I'm Going Bananas[242] / Cry Baby[264]; He's a Man[195] / More[183] / What Can You Lose[173] / Now I'm Following You (Part II) [170] / Now I'm Following You (Part 1)[ 150]

14. Hard Candy: 7/13: Incredible[246] / Spanish Lesson[265] / Ring My Bell[225] / Dance 2Night[202] / Candy Shop[185] / Heartbeat[179] / Beat Goes On (feat. Kanye West)[ 141]

16. MDNA: 10/18: Best Friend[247] / Superstar[259] / B-Day Song[267] / Give Me All Your Luvin' (Party Rock Remix)[262] / Some Girls[221] / Give Me All Your Luvin' (feat. Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.)[ 227] / I Fucked Up[181] / Turn Up the Radio[186] / I Don't Give A (feat. Nicki Minaj) [177] / I'm A Sinner[164]