Singles... if Erotica never received damage control treatment

GhostOrchid

I really don´t like Erotica at all, nor the album nor the era. It seemed so cold for me for I don´t know what reason. She changes so much from era to era that it´s fascinating. I love everything from Music, ROL, COADF, True Blue, LAP ..but dislike so much her work on Madame x or Erotica.

I don´t think this album could have ever been really succesful. But hey it´s true she dared to do something different, risking all her carreer and winning her place as the greatest one as time went by.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

I really don´t like Erotica at all, nor the album nor the era. It seemed so cold for me for I don´t know what reason. She changes so much from era to era that it´s fascinating. I love everything from Music, ROL, COADF, True Blue, LAP ..but dislike so much her work on Madame x or Erotica.

I don´t think this album could have ever been really succesful. But hey it´s true she dared to do something different, risking all her carreer and winning her place as the greatest one as time went by.

I get ur point. If there were one word to describe Dita Parlo as a state of mind, it'd be DISAPPOINTED.

But she needed this spleen, decay spirit at that time. And we did need it too.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:22 PM, MPowered said:

Is there an unreleased VHS single of Erotica? I wasn’t aware. I was just brainstorming about what could have been included on the VHS single alongside the Erotica video.

Here you go...

kqsMlUk.jpeg

It had a catalog number "7599-38329-3".

American Life is the album/era that really felt like damage control while it was rolling out with the abrupt about face with the AL video. The flag version. Removing the gun imagery from the promo images. The Britney Kiss. The Gap ad. Even Confessions. It's still confusing and fascinating to me.

1 hour ago, Pootz333 said:

American Life is the album/era that really felt like damage control while it was rolling out with the abrupt about face with the AL video. The flag version. Removing the gun imagery from the promo images. The Britney Kiss. The Gap ad. Even Confessions. It's still confusing and fascinating to me.

Yes and then Re-Invention Tour more hits based than she would normally do for a tour supporting the recent studio album  - was such a great tour and only included a handful of tracks from American Life.

On 10/1/2023 at 8:22 AM, MPowered said:

Is there an unreleased VHS single of Erotica? I wasn’t aware. I was just brainstorming about what could have been included on the VHS single alongside the Erotica video.

In the US at least, the video singles didn’t have a second “b side” clip. They would just have the lone video.

13 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

Yes and then Re-Invention Tour more hits based than she would normally do for a tour supporting the recent studio album  - was such a great tour and only included a handful of tracks from American Life.

Yes! Idk how I could forget this. The Beast Within/Vogue/Bedtime Story from that tour are some of my favorite M moments ever.

19 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

Honestly it's top 5 Madonna tours but it's sad that she had to go back on her "never doing the old hits again" statement after one tour with it. Like you know she knew when an era was in trouble (Erotica excluded) when she had to break out Material Girl  :lol:.

3 hours ago, Husam Elzien said:

Honestly it's top 5 Madonna tours but it's sad that she had to go back on her "never doing the old hits again" statement after one tour with it. Like you know she knew when an era was in trouble (Erotica excluded) when she had to break out Material Girl  :lol:.

It was such a dour affair though lol. Like it was painfully obvious she didn’t want to be doing those old hits.

I enjoyed seeing it live and am glad I got to but tbh I much prefer CT and even DWT, if only bc they were more conceptually inspired, and she seemed much more into it.

7 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Madonna was really describing the ears of the mixers of the Celebration Compilation back in 2009

In fact, it was her reaction when someone told her that she should release deluxe albums editions with unreleased stuff for her fans.

For me, it's and will always remain one of her best albums, even if it wasn't successful. I think, the journalists really don't have much to blame, she wanted to dare and reach an audience of a certain level and challenging the puritans. She was aware that everything would not be easy for her.
There're some good songs and a very advanced sound for those years, maybe I wouldn't have released 'Fever' and 'Bye Bye Baby' as singles, I'd have proposed 'Where the life begins' and 'Why's it so hard'

On 10/1/2023 at 12:43 PM, MPowered said:

I think if anything, Bad Girl was considered in place of In This Life.

One of the earlier drafts of the Girlie Show setlists was this:

1. Erotica

2. Fever

3. Vogue

4. Rain

True Blue (Interlude)

5. Express Yourself

6. Deeper And Deeper

7. Why's It So Hard

8. In This Life

The Beast Within (Interlude)

9. Like A Virgin

10. Bye Bye Baby

11. Live To Tell

12. La Isla Bonita

13. Holiday

Encore:

14. Justify My Love

15. Everybody

I really can't warm up to this tour. Some of the song renditions were way too long, very odd setlist choices. While it had nice visuals, great vocals and a great band it’s definitely missing a few more oldies and better songs from Erotica (Bad Girl, Secret Garden, Words, Thief of Hearts)

:thumbsup:

GS-Faxes.jpg

On 10/4/2023 at 4:55 AM, Pootz333 said:

confusing yes..but.. fascinating?

3 hours ago, into the erotico said:

confusing yes..but.. fascinating?

Yeah, to me. What other era had her being interviewed with her rabbi saying she was in the 1% of people who truly "get" Kabbalah? What other mega star is telling us it's all bullshit today? She could have kept on riding high after Evita/ROL/Music and put out Hard Candy. People love to compare her to other current female pop artists. How many of them have gone as far as that original AL video did? It's considered a flop with no hits but was one of her biggest club records ever via the remixes. Her going from wearing couture Lacroix with the wolves reading from Revelation one minute and then selling Gap jeans with Missy Elliot the very next is fascinating to me.

54 minutes ago, Markdonna said:

EROTICA is a record you either really get.  Or You don’t.  I feel that EROTICA, AMERICAN LIFE, and MADAME X are three woefully under appreciated albums that are much, much more interesting than her big hits.

AND I really like her big hits…

This post  is one that bears repeating.

‘ Sometimes you gotta tell’em over and over and over.’

1 hour ago, Markdonna said:

EROTICA is a record you either really get.  Or You don’t.  I feel that EROTICA, AMERICAN LIFE, and MADAME X are three woefully under appreciated albums that are much, much more interesting than her big hits.

AND I really like her big hits…

13 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

And let´s fantasise, imagine Erotica was not ever made. and that she recorded an regular pop album a la True Blue in 1992, only that with more 90 vibes. What do you think about? Would she be here as an artist today? Madonna 

Then she’d have a lower standing. She’d be in MJ’s lane. (assuming she kept up that trend the whole way through.)