The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

23 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

I understand the critique but she is getting older and with every tour, she is going to move slower. She hasn't been in the physical shape she used to be in.

Just to echo this sentiment. I'd already been thinking she's needed to stop trying to "keep up with the kids" and overexert herself for the past... 3-4 tours? Because it's been at the expense of her vocals. I'm thrilled that she's taking it easier physically because in all the clips I've heard tonight that sound like live vocals - she sounds better than she has in over a decade. I feel Confessions was the last time she was vocally strong throughout a show, and this has made me much more excited for the show and spectacle of it all.

Edited by mikemgmve
Typos and clarity (see edit history)

I really am thrilled that so many of the rumours were true.  And that some weren’t.  I kept hearing that Hung Up was off the set list.

Rain was very left field and very welcome.  As was Bedtime Story.  The 1980s oldies are well represented.  And there are simply too many of them for them all to be heard.  I think that it is truly a show for everybody and really does Celebrate every era.

And I love how radically different this tour is from Madame X.  (Which I absolutely loved.)  But there is so little overlap here as far as set lists.  Vogue and Human Nature and that’s about it. La Isla Bonita… 

43 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

Agreed. There are little adjustments that could be made but overall it's a good setlist (not so sure about the order of the songs) but its good to have the chosen songs all in one show.

Yes agree, the set list is amazing, each song is performed amazing - perhaps the order could be re arranged to create a better flow - but otherwise it's a dream setlist! 

Aye!!! No “Rescue Me”?!!! And “I’ll Remember,” and “This Used to Be My Playground”... Hopefully Madonna will eventually perform them onstage, whether during this tour or another occasion. And I do not believe those songs are “too hard” for her to sing live. It’s statements like that that make some believe Madonna is a complete non-singer. Any pro singer, incl. Britney Spears, J.Lo and Selena Gomez, can pull them off, with maybe a backing track and some backing singers on “Rescue Me.”

Oh! “Physical Attraction”... The next tour should focus more on rarities.

My two centes about the show and how it narrates her career/life.

"Nothing Really Matters", "Everybody", "Into the Hollywood Groove", "Burning Up", "Open Your Heart", "Holiday"  the first part of the 80s, a joyful and celebratory pop.

Then late 80s with "Live to Tell" and how the AIDS crisis made her lose people and how it affected her life, culminating in her questioning things and the development of her work and rebellion against religion/patriarchy: "Like a Prayer"/"Unholy”/"Act of Contrition".

Then the  sexual and queer defiance of her work in 90s with, "Erotica", "Justify My Love"/"Fever" (Medley), "Hung Up on Tokischa"/"Hung Up" (Medley), "Bad Girl", "Vogue", "Human Nature".

"Crazy for You"  how it all comes down to love after all the controversy (or you could see it as how she re-invented herself as a ballad singer in the mid 90s to "save her career" if you're cynical lol). "Die Another Day", "Don’t Tell Me" is her drive to keep her head up and keep going no matter what. "Mother and Father", 'La Isla Bonita", "Argentina". about her wounds from the loss of her mother and how important it was to make Evita and how it ended up closing a circle with her becoming a mother there. 

"Bedtime Story", "Ray of Light", "Rain" her rebirth and spiritual awakening after Lola which culminated in ROL and gave a twist , a revival, survival to her career. 

"Bitch I’m Madonna"/"Give Me All Your Luvin'" (Medley) , "Celebration"/"Music" (Medley) is where she is now, being the baddest bitch who refuses to go away and to live up to people's expectations.

madonna shut up GIF

47 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

Agreed. There are little adjustments that could be made but overall it's a good setlist (not so sure about the order of the songs) but its good to have the chosen songs all in one show.

Agree. There were some really strange, jarring moments- for me the most bizarre was when it suddenly went from Human Nature to Crazy For You. But overall I think the selection was good. Just maybe rearrange a little.

I just really hope Rain, Bedtime Story and especially Bad Girl are permanent and don’t get rotated w/other songs.

It’s be cute if she inserted Frozen after Rain maybe. That was the one omission I felt the most. More than Material Girl or Express Yourself.

47 minutes ago, McDonna said:

No problem at all. Weird how you  are over defensive about DM reports.  I just call it as it I see it.  And no, they weren't 99% correct. That's simply political gaslighting coming from you. 

That all said, it was still a great show and DM obviously got a few vague things correct that anyone else could have guessed. I never said they were entirely wrong. It's not a contest of who is right or wrong for me. :)

You were the one saying NO WAY SHE WILL OPEN WITH NOTHING REALLY MATTERS 🤣

3 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Agree. There were some really strange, jarring moments- for me the most bizarre was when it suddenly went from Human Nature to Crazy For You. But overall I think the selection was good. Just maybe rearrange a little.

I just really hope Rain, Bedtime Story and especially Bad Girl are permanent and don’t get rotated w/other songs.

It’s be cute if she inserted Frozen after Rain maybe. That was the one omission I felt the most. More than Material Girl or Express Yourself.

I think what's missing too is a musical segway from one song to the next. The MDNA tour did this well where the instrumentation leads into the next song. Many times with this tour it just stops and the next song starts after costume adjustments

1 minute ago, cosmic_system said:

You were the one saying NO WAY SHE WILL OPEN WITH NOTHING REALLY MATTERS 🤣

Nope I never said that.  You can comb back through my comments and while I did have some doubt, I never said she wouldn't open with the song. But again, this isn't a contest, and you seem to enjoy to project drama and start friction with others, so maybe from this point on we should ignore each other if you aren't open to people having difference of opinions!  Good night and thank you!

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic