The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

7 hours ago, Lorx said:

Here too, we only know one side of the story. Donna never spoke a word about it, but it's true she never got a step out.

Garrett shares that Donna felt envious because she felt overlooked by Madonna. She mentioned hearing complaints from Donna from other people about not getting a solo after 17 years together, while Garrett did.

However, Donna continued through the CT and concluded her collaboration with Madonna on good terms, for personal reasons alone. So that's speculation

That whole rant from Siedah never made sense to me. First of all, she comes across as slightly unhinged, second of all - there's no way Donna would've done the gospel solo in Like A Prayer, she's not that kind of vocalist. And finally, she went on to tour with M again while Siedah did not. 

final niki&donna thoughts. 

i like them, BUT ... their insta post after the show? they didn't congratulate madonna, didn’t praise anything, just using the show to say they had a great time in nyc and they will be back with their own show?? nah..., SORRY, NEXT ! (remember the post of william orbit? now that was a celebration of madonna and his involvement)

2 minutes ago, PHIL said:

final niki&donna thoughts. 

i like them, BUT ... their insta post after the show? they didn't congratulate madonna, didn’t praise anything, just using the show to say they had a great time in nyc and they will be back with their own show?? nah..., SORRY, NEXT ! (remember the post of william orbit? now that was a celebration of madonna and his involvement)

Did Mirwais post anything?

F3LgVjoXcAAl8iI.jpg

Lovely time at the show last night, again in the Pit B. Madonna was the most emotional last night that I've yet seen her! She cried at least twice that I can remember. She did make a mention of how this could possibly be her last show at MSG, which crossed my mind before the show as well. Perhaps she knows it is, and just doesn't want to say so.

And so, my time at The Celebration Tour has come to a close. Goodbye, Mother. :cry:

9 minutes ago, Scottyx said:

I don't think Madonna needs Niki or Donna to praise her.  The amount of people that showed up to see her is praise enough. Until we hear Madonna say that she was bothered by it, there is no need for us to be.

true! <3

35 minutes ago, Winn said:

The Stones are still touring, Madonna will too. She'll be at MSG again.

+

It's completely normal for her to be vulnerable and shaken. She's on a retrospective tour, where every night she's singing songs for and looking at pictures of her dead relatives/friends/peers. This, combined with her health scare, must take a huge toll on her emotional health. I guess that after the tour is done, she'll take a few weeks to rest and will start working on something new immediately. Be it the movie or the album. I can't imagine her spending more than a month doing nothing. I think it would destroy her mentally and emotionally. Just look at the 'quarantine diaries' from the time of the lockdowns, which was when she couldn't move after the leg surgeries. I've never seen her more depressed.

Edited by Salida (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

She did make a mention of how this could possibly be her last show at MSG, which crossed my mind before the show as well. Perhaps she knows it is, and just doesn't want to say so.

I watched videos. She says that she doesn't know WHEN she'll play it again. So she's doing it as if it is her last and her first. And I think she's doing each show on each tour this way. That's one of the reasons she's the best performer ever. And I think it's normal to say that she doesn't know when she'll play it again. She's been saying to her team to appreciate every moment and every show as if it's the last at least since Sticky and Sweet (that's the first time I've seen her say it in the tour documentary).

Something I wasn’t aware of until reading the Mary Gabriel book is that Niki said herself at the time of Drowned World that she knew it was her last tour with M because she had had surgery on her leg and it left her with one leg shorter than the other. She was struggling and had to push through, describing it as her “Muhammad Ali moment” when realizing she wasn’t going to be able to sustain the physical requirements of the shows in the future.

I do think her friendship with Christopher probably informed a lot of the ensuing bitterness as she has talked about how the entire cast of characters in M’s life changed by the time of the DWT with Christopher being replaced as artistic director by Jamie King, and this meant she and Donna had less access to Madonna. Madonna traveled separately with her family going forth, whereas on previous tours they had all flown on the same plane. She was frustrated that M asked her to have a mohawk and lose weight, and was further outraged that Donna was asked to shave her head, something that was averted thanks to Niki restyling D’s hair to look the part without drastic cuts. She also didn’t like the violence in the show, something Chris also found bizarre as shared in his book. Donna herself stated that Christopher loved the three of them together, but King preferred acrobatic dancers and screens.

Christopher was very bitter about being replaced in both Madonna’s professional realm and her personal space when she hired David Collins as interior designer. 

I’m only sharing this for those who asked why there would be any friction or tension between any of the players in this dynamic. Considering how many people Madonna has collaborated with and hired in the 23 years since the Drowned World Tour, it is quite possible that N + D are far less centric to her vision of her career than they are to her longtime fans. If Maripol was also in attendance last night, why not be equally focused on her lack of involvement? It’s quite extraordinary to think that Maripol, Donna and Niki were all at her last NY show! That’s what’s special about it all, and I feel Madonna really pushed herself harder vocally and physically last night. Who knows if their presence wasn’t a factor in this?!