Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

43 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

I was there too :) here's the actual facts

Bad Girl - single release February 2, 1993, music video premiere February 11, 1993

Fever -  single release - March 26, 1993 music video premiere May 11, 1993 - MTV UK used a compilation of clips, Madonna decided to film a music video for the clubs and MTV USA.

Rain - music video premiere June 21, 1993 -  single release July 19, 1993 - the music video was released early to promo The Girlie Show Tour announcement 

Re: Bye Bye Baby - Rain was the current single when the tour was in UK / Europe - BBB was actually created primarily for the Australian and Japan markets to coincide with the November / December tour dates - Germany pressed the single likely because it was available 

And re Express Yourself - the singles had been finalised when Madonna decided to use Shep's mix over the music video so it was a case of a last minute change - yes they could have issued that version later however given it as such a big hit, they didn't need to

I think it's just your perception that it was messy.

That is quite right and malessere sense... and maybe BBB was released in Germany as the tour was supposed to start there?

By the way I got crazy trying to track down the video version for Express Yourself 🤣🤣🤣 me poor little kid

9 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

But Human Nature was released like 3 or 4 months after the video was on heavy rotation (again the sole media still promoting Madonna at the time). And it's something Warner always did, another one was Nothing Really Matters, they killed that track by releasing the remixes too late after the video 'and grammies aired, Beautiful Stranger came out just a few weeks after the NRM remixes were released (but BS was not even a single in the US, a sure #1 they denied Madonna with that strategy)

And i still don't understand why it was that complicated to slap the Express Yourself Pettibone single remix on the b-side of Oh Father for example since it was not available and, again, the most popular version. 

(and that Rain Uk cover becoming 9 months later the US I'll Remember cover)

Pure mess... just release the damn single with remixes within the time period of releasing the video God's sake... lol it's easy, why make it so complicated??? 🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Pure mess... just release the damn single with remixes within the time period of releasing the video God's sake... lol it's easy, why make it so complicated??? 🤣🤣🤣

Warner always wanted to drive all the promo to album sales (more profitable). Video out, no single out -> buy the whole album if you want the song. Pure 90s logic.

And that’s why the singles chart positions suffered in the US.

30 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Welcome to the club!!!! I wanted the video version so desperately that I recorded the TV audio signal on cassette (using the "audio-out" plug). Mono, with noise, but I loved that fucking cassette with the video version. I played that cassette in my walkman over and over and over...

Oh, those times...

I recorded a lot of songs on the radio onto tape when I was a kid. If I'm not mistaken, I got to record Crazy For You on tape, which is commonly the Immaculate Collection mix being played here.

4 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

I was there too :) here's the actual facts

Bad Girl - single release February 2, 1993, music video premiere February 11, 1993

Fever -  single release - March 26, 1993 music video premiere May 11, 1993 - MTV UK used a compilation of clips, Madonna decided to film a music video for the clubs and MTV USA.

Rain - music video premiere June 21, 1993 -  single release July 19, 1993 - the music video was released early to promo The Girlie Show Tour announcement 

Re: Bye Bye Baby - Rain was the current single when the tour was in UK / Europe - BBB was actually created primarily for the Australian and Japan markets to coincide with the November / December tour dates - Germany pressed the single likely because it was available 

And re Express Yourself - the singles had been finalised when Madonna decided to use Shep's mix over the music video so it was a case of a last minute change - yes they could have issued that version later however given it as such a big hit, they didn't need to

I think it's just your perception that it was messy.

It is messy to promote a mix that is not commercially available. Sorry. I won't back down. There is no logic in that. 

And The Rain EP was the single they used to promote The Girlie Show in Australia & Japan.

As for Express Yourself it was not even released as a single in France, only the 12" had a pressing because they did not want to "kill" Like A Prayer (the single) so they passed on one of her signature song. 

42 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

It is messy to promote a mix that is not commercially available. Sorry. I won't back down. There is no logic in that. 

And The Rain EP was the single they used to promote The Girlie Show in Australia & Japan.

As for Express Yourself it was not even released as a single in France, only the 12" had a pressing because they did not want to "kill" Like A Prayer (the single) so they passed on one of her signature song. 

I don’t get why some fans here want her to be as basic as possible.

She’s an artist. Many times she prioritized putting out whatever she thought it’s better instead of following a stiff corporate strategy. 
She preferred Fever edit one and the express yourself remix for the videos instead of the album versions so she went with it.

There’s the short sight commercial gain and then there’s the long term gain from creating a strong timeless body of work. She was more preoccupied with that in the 90s and her instincts have been spot on. 

1 hour ago, thegoldencalf said:

I don’t get why some fans here want her to be as basic as possible.

She’s an artist. Many times she prioritized putting out whatever she thought it’s better instead of following a stiff corporate strategy. 
She preferred Fever edit one and the express yourself remix for the videos instead of the album versions so she went with it.

There’s the short sight commercial gain and then there’s the long term gain from creating a strong timeless body of work. She was more preoccupied with that in the 90s and her instincts have been spot on. 

I'm not saying she should have used the album version in the video (the remix works better, it's more energic), i'm saying they should have made the video mix available to everybody and not randomly on various european pressings on Rain.

And Why perform (supposedly) the Abraham mix of Bye Bye Baby at the VMA's and then not putting it on the single ? If it was bad she wouldn't have used it. 

Same with Express Yourself, that video mix should have been slapped on Cherish instead of the useless Cherish 12" or better yet, as a b-side to Oh Father to boost sales of the single. 

I don't understand, what is wrong in wanting a mix that is the most popular and wasn't available ?

It must also be a Sednaoui thing to use commercially unavailable mixes in his videos since the same happened with the video he directed for Bjork's "big time sensuality", that Fluke minimix was not available, not even as promo, until she put it on her compilation. It was frustrating because it was superior to the album version (and still is) and all the commercially available remixes.

13 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I don't understand, what is wrong in wanting a mix that is the most popular and wasn't available ?

Maybe she wanted to boost the sales of her video compilations. I bought the Immaculate Collection VHS and LD because I wanted desperately the video versions of Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart and Express Yourself. The same with 93:99 DVD because I wanted Fever (Edit One).

19 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Maybe she wanted to boost the sales of her video compilations. I bought the Immaculate Collection VHS and LD because I wanted desperately the video versions of Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart and Express Yourself. The same with 93:99 DVD because I wanted Fever (Edit One).

That was released 8 years later. I doubt they had that in mind already. 

16 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Rain was a big hit in Australia. And did it not get good airplay in the US and on MTV? 

When it premiered on MTV in the US, it was played every hour. It was probably her most played video on MTV US from that album.

As for radio airplay, it was a more radio-friendly song than “Bad Girl,” so it reached a significantly higher Hot 100 peak (14). while it reached #11 in AirPlay, it only went to #31 in sales. Deeper was a bigger radio hit compared to Rain tho in the US. The only advantage Rain had over Deeper was it’s success on A/C radio.

Rain was key in paving Madonna's future success with I'll Remember, Secret, and Take A Bow. Today, it continues to be one of Madonna's most often played catalog songs on radio, and pharmacies across the country.

14 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

What? The immaculate video collection was released one year later after Express Yourself (her first video using a remix as audio).  She is selling video compilations since 1985.

I'm talking about the Fever edit one.

But ok. I doubt she had The Immaculate Collection in mind when she released the Express Yourself video. And when the IC was originally realeased it was vhs and laserdiscs, the mix on the cd was not the video mix either which makes my point, wouldn't it have been easier for fans (and casual listeners/music buyers) to have these mixes availabale on the singles instead of having to look for them for years on obscure pressings or supports ? 

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW