MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

1 hour ago, Celebration said:

Thanks for the link. Great interview.  :)

My question is: When can we pre-order a deluxe edition of Like A Virgin? (cause it's obvious to me that LAV is the first re-issue)

Nooooooooo!  My least favorite of all her albums (I still love it though).  I need Erotica ASAP.  

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. The thing with the "Like A Virgin" album is that is iconic, yes, and will definitely benefit from a remaster, but what extras is gonna have? "Into The Groove", "Gambler", "Crazy For You" and the four Extended remixes of the album singles? They would kick things off with a rather anemic reissue.

There are only two unreleased songs from that era: "Warning Signs" and "Desperately Seeking Susan" - and they're not even from the album.

So let's see.

Sidewalk Talk maybe? 
The unreleased Nile Rogers mixes of Like A Virgin and Material Girl.

Angel, Over & Over, Gambler, Shoo-Be-Doo Steve Bray versions.

Crazy For You JellyBean version. 
I wonder if that mysterious Don Johnson thing Love On The line was ever recorded around that time. There literally HAS to be stuff that they submitted that wasn’t used. I don’t believe there is nothing. 

We could get Don’t You Know that turned into Stay and an early version of Over & Over. The Live Aid Set. The MTV version of Like A Virgin. Material Girl Video edit. the Angel 12”

Into The Groove Demo

Who knows. 

But an advert on TV

“with the hits

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Dress You Up

Angel

Love Don’t Live Here Anymore 

And for the very first time 

Into The Groove

Crazy For You

and Gambler”

is a hell of a serve hits wise to kick things off. 

I just hope she has buried the hatchet with Steve Bray. He was so important to her career back then and if she’s still got beef and want to punish him  financially by not included his stuff we all miss out. 
He wasn’t mentioned in her rock and roll hall of fame speech right? But that was 15 yrs ago. 

12 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I just hope she has buried the hatchet with Steve Bray. He was so important to her career back then and if she’s still got beef and want to punish him  financially by not included his stuff we all miss out. 
He wasn’t mentioned in her rock and roll hall of fame speech right? But that was 15 yrs ago. 

But he WAS mentioned in Rolling Stone 2009 and she even thanked him for coming up the Into the Groove bassline.

The only interest I have in any reissues are completely unreleased tracks or unreleased mixes. Otherwise, FOR ME, it's just a cash grab from the die hard fans. We have definitely been completely spoiled with the amount of demos leaked over the last few years. And I understand having those in high quality and officially released means something to a lot of fans, but it doesn't do much FOR ME. So I am definitely curious to see where they go with this.

Be ready to get Like a virgin basic LP in gold vinyl, grey vinyl, pink and green reissue... Hope not !

It's my least favorite album (AFTER MDNA !). Don't listen to it often. It sounds a bit unpersonal and aged a lot. First album is much better. Anyway, any reissue with REAL unheard stuff on it, I take and I'll say thank you. Even if they start with LAV. Why not.

But yes, Warning signs and Desperately seeking Susan are the 2 most expected tracks !

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

Sidewalk Talk maybe? 

I wonder if that mysterious Don Johnson thing Love On The line was ever recorded around that time. There literally HAS to be stuff that they submitted that wasn’t used. I don’t believe there is nothing. 

We could get Don’t You Know that turned into Stay and an early version of Over & Over. The Live Aid Set. The MTV version of Like A Virgin. Material Girl Video edit. the Angel 12”

Into The Groove Demo

Who knows. 

But an advert on TV

“with the hits

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Dress You Up

Angel

Into The Groove

Crazy For You

and Gambler”

"Spotlight", original version 1985 US copyright registration PAu-716-379[50] written in 1984. Curtis Hudson & Lisa Stevens. Stevens's demo version sounds remarkably like "Holiday" which she also co-wrote. Madonna and Stephen Bray changed lyrics and music to this in 1985 via copyright registration PAu-924-278.[51][52] The demo also has a different rhythm and chorus melody. Sample lyric "Spotlight shine on you. Be what you want to be, do what you want to do" and "Spotlight shine so bright, spotlight shine tonight".

And who knows the solo version for Sidewalk Talk. 

6 hours ago, steady75 said:

I can’t wait for the melts when three songs we’ve never even heard of show up on the tracklist. 
It really will be the tell on whether there is more vault stuff for all eras  we just know fuck all about. 
Your Honesty teas. 

Agreed. There’s ALWAYS more songs that are made than what we know about (except Rebel Heart cause everything leaked). You don’t just make exactly 9 songs and stop. There HAS to be some scraps somewhere. 

Why does she have beef with Stephen Bray?

9 hours ago, steady75 said:

Sidewalk Talk maybe? 

Into The Groove Demo

Who knows. 

But an advert on TV

“with the hits

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Dress You Up

Angel

Into The Groove

Crazy For You

and Gambler”

Two words: WARNING SIGNS.

Plus Desperately Seeking Susan demo.

Before working with Nile, Madonna had in mind that she was gonna co-produce the album with Bray and Jellybean, then Warner said no, they wanted a big producer so she thought she was gonna do it with Nile, Trevor Horn, Laurie Latham and some with Bray & Jellybean but Nile said he wanted to make the whole album or nothing. If you read Nile's interviews about the album he always says she had a bunch of demos and he chose the ones he liked better. So she already had a bunch of them. Considering Into The Groove might have been one written around that time and maybe Sidewalk Talk too...plus there's the Street Smarts track "Work Your Finger To The Bone" that Jellybean discovered on a tape a few years ago

Jellybean.jpg

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

Before working with Nile, Madonna had in mind that she was gonna co-produce the album with Bray and Jellybean, then Warner said no, they wanted a big producer so she thought she was gonna do it with Nile, Trevor Horn, Laurie Latham and some with Bray & Jellybean but Nile said he wanted to make the whole album or nothing. If you read Nile's interviews about the album he always says she had a bunch of demos and he chose the ones he liked better. So she already had a bunch of them. Considering Into The Groove might have been one written around that time and maybe Sidewalk Talk too...plus there's the Street Smarts track "Work Your Finger To The Bone" that Jellybean discovered on a tape a few years ago

Jellybean.jpg

This one and Pipeline are always said to be from the True Blue sessions, like Spotlight 1985 (which was mentioned in a previous post) and Each time.

24 minutes ago, Enrico said:

This one and Pipeline are always said to be from the True Blue sessions, like Spotlight 1985 (which was mentioned in a previous post) and Each time.

It was demoed before the True Blue sessions and after the Like A Virgin sessions but since her main work with Jellybean was during the Madonna/Like A Virgin eras it would fit better on Like A Virgin than on True Blue imo image.thumb.png.a552ed58705ad4b0df4d785a7df76330.png

3 hours ago, Enrico said:

Two words: WARNING SIGNS.

Plus Desperately Seeking Susan demo.

Of course hun I was just listing stuff the previous poster hadn’t considered xx

6 hours ago, Shoful said:

Agreed. There’s ALWAYS more songs that are made than what we know about (except Rebel Heart cause everything leaked). You don’t just make exactly 9 songs and stop. There HAS to be some scraps somewhere. 

Why does she have beef with Stephen Bray?

Because he released PreMadonna in 97 after it was clear she was never going to work with him again after Keep It Together (thier last song together).

He sold her out really for a quick cash grab which was a bit of a shitty move considering she’s already had all the Penthouse / Playboy and Otto Von Weiner and A Certain Sacrifice stuff come out. It was a bit low rent of him. I’m sure he regrets it. 

2 hours ago, vadge said:

I wonder if it'll be chronological or based on the upcoming anniversaries. Out of her major releases, it's only True Blue and MDNA without a major anniversary coming up.

Erotica (30th Anniversary)

Madonna (40th Anniversary)
Like a Prayer (35th Anniversary)
Ray of Light (25th Anniversary)
American Life (20th Anniversary)
Hard Candy (15th Anniversary)

Like a Virgin (40th Anniversary)
Bedtime Stories (30th Anniversary)

I'm Breathless (40th Anniversary)
Music (25th Anniversary)
Confessions on a Dancefloor (20th Anniversary)
Rebel Heart (10th Anniversary)

Having said that, I think it would be cooler to do chronological and only celebrating anniversaries by starting the campaign with debut turning 40 in 2023 and ending with Rebel Heart turning 10 in 2025.

Like A Prayer's 35th anniversary is 2024 and I'm Breathless is 40 in 2030 :)

4 hours ago, vadge said:

I wonder if it'll be chronological or based on the upcoming anniversaries. Out of her major releases, it's only True Blue and MDNA without a major anniversary coming up.

Erotica (30th Anniversary)

Madonna (40th Anniversary)
Like a Prayer (35th Anniversary)
Ray of Light (25th Anniversary)
American Life (20th Anniversary)
Hard Candy (15th Anniversary)

Like a Virgin (40th Anniversary)
Bedtime Stories (30th Anniversary)

I'm Breathless (40th Anniversary)
Music (25th Anniversary)
Confessions on a Dancefloor (20th Anniversary)
Rebel Heart (10th Anniversary)

Having said that, I think it would be cooler to do chronological and only celebrating anniversaries by starting the campaign with debut turning 40 in 2023 and ending with Rebel Heart turning 10 in 2025.

No no no... I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Never mind all these anniversaries. Two or three reissues a year is a good pace. And it doesn't have to be chronological.
I think that Like A Virgin might be the first one. The party with Nile Rodgers indicates that. Plus Virgin is the record that made Madonna an international superstar. So it would make sense. She needs to start the reissue program with a boom! :)