"I'm Breathless"

Holger

It's a Masterpiece and sadly underrated. (cheap?, CHEAP????) 

I even love the hated tracks (I'm going Bananas, Cry Baby). My only complaint is Vogue. It's a fantastic ending for the album (because the song is too good and the intro flows perfectly after "I'm Following You") but it doesn't belong to the "I'm Breathless" era.

It would be fantastic to get a version of the album with all of the Dick Tracy dialogue removed. And yes. Different artwork! I hate the images they used (Any of the ones below would have been preferred)! I think Back In Business is a great track, but upon recently listening to the album on good headphones after Bridge The Gap Reactions reviewed it, I realized I truly dislike Madonna’s vocals on I’m Going Bananas! 😂 It’s one thing to be playfully infantile, as was the case with Santa Baby or during the DYU/MG/LAV section of the WTG Tour, but the raspiness on IGB is just awful. It works live, but on record the high notes grate like nails on a chalkboard, something I have never applied to any other Madonna vocal, even off key. Somehow it’s taken me 33 years to accept this. 😂 

I do wish What Can You Lose was longer and featured her more; a gorgeous melody with beautiful harmonies. I was always surprised by how compatible Mandy’s voice is with Madonna’s. I also somewhat struggle with some of the bells and whistles on Now I’m Following You, Part 2, but appreciate the brilliance of the era-jumping segue into Vogue.

He’s A Man is quintessential Madonna to me, and her vocals on that track leave me breathless! All in all, this album was an astonishing accomplishment for Madonna both in terms of songwriting and her vocal delivery. She nailed every performance with authenticity while incorporating sass, vulnerability and humor. 

IMG_2085.jpeg

IMG_2087.jpeg

IMG_2086.jpeg

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2083.jpeg

I love this record, and first owned it on vinyl.
I thought there was something wrong with my copy after the song Now I'm Following You, and was heartbroken for a couple of seconds. Then it morphed into the dance mix, and I laughed at how funny the transition was. :)

It's an album that is loved by several genetrations. I played a few songs for my grandmother a few years ago, and she asked me to get her a copy of it.

Whenever she has guests over, she'll play a song from the cd and ask the guests if they can guess who the singer is, and they are always surprised when she tells them it's Madonna. :)

Even my picky grandfather liked it, and was surprised at how rhythmic her singing was. Much better than he expected.
He also loved the movie Who's That Girl. He saw it for what it was: A silly comedy. He thought Madonna was great in it. :)

Wait, why so much hate for Cry Baby? Would you knock it off, please? :Madonna021:

It really is a fantastic album and Sooner or Later is probably one of her finest ballads with that immediate standard vibe to it.

And I actually love the artwork, it always mesmerized me by how colorful and busy it is, you just want to keep looking at it noticing each detail!

I don't think it's a bad album, but it's like Evita soundtrack.

Two albuns I used to listen when the movies were out, but I don't care about them for a long time, since they are not a Madonna Ciccone's album, but a character's album.

The only song besides Vogue, I still listen to is Sooner or Later. The Oscar perfomance was outstanding and I never get bored about this one. 

I don't like Cry Baby, I'm Going Bananas and Now I'm Following You. And Something to Rember is an ok song for my taste, but one of her weakest ballads, IMO.

One of my favourite and played so many times, I think was my first Madonna's vinyl.

My favourite song is More for sure and I never dislike Cry Baby or I'm going Bananas, but I do find them more irritating these days.

And I'm not not much into ballads but Something to remember always get me.

He's a Man is the best intro

I have always loved this album, it's a masterpiece and He's a man is a great opening of the album. I love that song, it's the best track on the album imo. I agree that Vogue was misplaced on this album.

top tracks are:

He's a man

Back in Business

Now I'm Following You

Sooner or Later

More

and I agree the bare bones single mix of "Hanky Panky"  is much better than the album version. This fanmade video is perfectly done.

I love it (also always skip Cry Baby but do love the ending) - It's the muddy mastering that annoys me.

Hopefully it gets a proper remaster so it doesn't sound like it's been ripped from an old cassette (which is how I originally listened to it anyway).

If you can't wait until 2057 here's a fan remaster: 

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

24 minutes ago, BuschieFandango said:

I love it (also always skip Cry Baby but do love the ending) - It's the muddy mastering that annoys me.

Hopefully it gets a proper remaster so it doesn't sound like it's been ripped from an old cassette (which is how I originally listened to it anyway).

Oh, please. Stop with the unnecessary "remasters". I'm Breathless doesn't need any remaster. Only LAP (lack of bass) and ROL (lack of treble) need a remaster.

It is definitely one of my favourite albums of her first career decade. It was a very big surprise for me at the first listen. I love each song apart "Vogue"...because it is simply out of context (it is more a non-album track and it has been unnaturally included in the record probably just to drive its sales). The record clearly testifies to her ability to improve her vocals and explore a different music genre, more adult-oriented. IB is a concept album, not a soundtrack (see similar examples as "A kind of magic" of Queen that includes also songs inspired by the movie Highlander).

Top songs: Back in business, Hanky Panky, Something to remember and More...

21 minutes ago, Nowheretohide said:

I love each song apart "Vogue"...because it is simply out of context (it is more a non-album track and it has been unnaturally included in the record probably just to drive its sales).

You are right. In my opinion, it belongs to the single trilogy “Express Yourself”-“Keep It Together”-“Vogue”. Shep Pettibone did three singles with the same house sound. And with the success of Vogue, they decided to include it in “I’m Breathless”. But as I said before, the change of the intro works perfectly after “I’m Following You” (but it is still out of context).

19 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

You are right. In my opinion, it belongs to the single trilogy “Express Yourself”-“Keep It Together”-“Vogue”. Shep Pettibone did three singles with the same house sound. And with the success of Vogue, they decided to include it in “I’m Breathless”. But as I said before, the change of the intro works perfectly after “I’m Following You” (but it is still out of context).

At the same time it's not too different from the 90s soundtracks that used to come with a 'credits hit' closing  an album. MC Hammer ' Addams Groove" Cuban Pete in the Mask etc..

And the video and lyrics of Vogue work within the theme.

I would love something with Keep it Together-Vogue and Rescue Me,... Houselicious!

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

At the same time it's not too different from the 90s soundtracks that used to come with a 'credits hit' closing  an album. MC Hammer ' Addams Groove" Cuban Pete in the Mask etc..

And the video and lyrics of Vogue work within the theme.

I would love something with Keep it Together-Vogue and Rescue Me,... Houselicious!

My bad. I forgot Rescue Me. The four "House" singles would be Express Yourself-Keep It Together-Vogue-Rescue Me