The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

It was good except the stage didn't really do well on stadium because it was too low and the catwalk was so short. When you could see her it was great but I'm going to be honest the first half drags a bit, into the groove, everybody and burning up just don't get the audience hyped. Erotica and justify my love are fantastic songs and I love them conceptually but they didn't fill the stadium either. However in the mid to last half the show got better and better, imo Ray of Light was the ultimate highlight, hung up, la Isla Bonita, Vogue, like a prayer got the audience involved. People around me couldn't really care less for bedtime story or rain sadly. what I observed is that the classics are what got the stadium lit up so to make it even better she would need to add frozen, material girl, express yourself, 4 minutes and stuff.

But I had a good and even great time for the most part, she was energetic and looked great but not being able to see over people at times did impact my experience so honestly I would get seats if possible for the tour if you are on the shorter site. And the smaller venues probably would've been a better experience. 

There's something about Bedtime Story the masses never really went for. When that single came out I was living with a Billboard DJ and he used to get promo vinyl all the time. When he got the Madonna remixes, I kept on him about spinning them in the club he worked at and he always did until Bedtime Story. He said the mixes just weren't working, the crowd wasn't into them. He gave me the vinyl right then and there, which I cherish to this day bc it's the rarer Chapter II. He wouldn't give me Frozen though, which had some kind of rarer drum dub I'd still like to have!

2 minutes ago, scion said:

She was brilliant but I'm very concerned about her health. She sounded very very strained tonight and barely managed Crazy For You. I was however directly facing an under stage sound monitor speaker and could tell exactly what was live and what wasn't, and let me tell you, it's pretty much all live. Erotica and JML are not live, neither is the chorus to Everybody or part of LAP from what I could tell. 

The concert was amazing and tbh I'd say it's the best of hers I've been to, but vocally she is sick. Because of the speaker position we could hear her very very clearly, the issues started during Open Your Heart but she still sounded good. The only song that sounded awful vocally was Hung Up.

Vocally she is sick but still sounded good?

So, after seeing her in Copenhagen last Wednesday from the VIP pit and tonight in Tele2 arena I believe the tour is evolving into the most impressive and personal of hers since confessions (except for the somehow abrupt ending)! 
Tele2 arena is more like a smaller stadium and it’s obvious that the size of the catwalks, the details of the costumes and definitely the sound installation is only designed for much smaller venues and work poorly in bigger ones. But there is a huge BUT here:
The public tonight was really enthusiastic to see her after 8 years and one could tell even before the show. Even from the queues it was obvious that a whole new generation rushed to see her this time (as she clearly reached the “surviving legend” status) and she did not disappoint.

While from the Pit the highlight of the show for me has been Erotica and Holiday/Live to tell (I cannot really separate the narration thread between these last two, it’s just too powerful), today Open your heart was really a touching moment with the meticulous recreation of such an iconic video.
During Live to tell tonight I felt she became suddenly very emotional when she turned back to the screens and saw all the pictures of friends she lost to aids, she also held a much longer talk before I will survive. Clearly on the verge to cry many times during the acoustic rendition. With a lot less “repeat after me” kabbalistic mantras than in Copenhagen, and the audience went crazy tonight and it was a pity we didn’t get to sing along with her because of the pre recorded instrumentation.
The 80s hits, Hung Up, Live to tell and even the Papa don’t preach interlude really fired up the energy in the room. Rocco and Mercy James got a huge applause as well. (is she really the only real instrument in the room together with that cello by the way?)

I also totally missed the Music reference before Celebration tonight, did others notice anything changed there tonight? 

Overall, it feels like a well structured show, and on both dates I got the feeling she was almost constantly on stage and enjoying every minute of it and hitting me with hit after hit, and all of that sprinkled with long-due fan favourites. Tonight it also felt the audience was also more keen in enjoying the show as well. Can’t believe I haven’t booked another show! 

Edited by Madgerules (see edit history)

2 hours ago, scion said:

She was brilliant but I'm very concerned about her health. She sounded very very strained tonight and barely managed Crazy For You. I was however directly facing an under stage sound monitor speaker and could tell exactly what was live and what wasn't, and let me tell you, it's pretty much all live. Erotica and JML are not live, neither is the chorus to Everybody or part of LAP from what I could tell. 

The concert was amazing and tbh I'd say it's the best of hers I've been to, but vocally she is sick. Because of the speaker position we could hear her very very clearly, the issues started during Open Your Heart but she still sounded good. The only song that sounded awful vocally was Hung Up.

What’s your take on Bad Girl? Did it sound like she was singing (along with a guide track or not) live the whole time? Did she sound good?

2 hours ago, scion said:

The vocals sound pretty good on Hung Up in this clip

3 hours ago, scion said:

What part of Like a prayer is not live?. If you compare dates it sounds pretty much live to me because it sounds different at times and sometimes flat 

3 hours ago, scion said:

Btw im glad you had a great time :kissy:

3 hours ago, scion said:

Wasn't Crazy For You intended to sound emotional and strained?  I think that is the case with this song.  I also think other songs she purposely has shown emotion in her songs that may be misinterpreted as strained or ill vocals.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, scion said:

Crazy For You was performed quite poorly even on the opening night, it was somewhat of a disaster. Throughout most of the concert, partly due to the backing vocals, I thought she was in good shape, but when she sang Crazy For You, I clearly heard several off-key notes.

I tried to understand why she sang it so poorly, considering that she had performed it so well in Rebel Heart. The issue here is that there are very few backing vocals, the accompaniment is minimal, and the key she chose is higher than that used in the RIT or Rebel Heart Tour. The result is mediocre and likely to deteriorate as the tour goes on. But we still love her.

Even Mother and Father, despite the use of autotune, she sings quite poorly, especially in the final notes where even the autotune struggles to correct the pitch. I also noticed this while I was there. I didn't hear some of the vocal issues I heard at home while listening to audio and video recordings; I noticed some minor off-key moments here and there, but the overall effect was quite good.

And it's all live except for JML and Erotica.

i went spontaneously to stockholm, as i was in the area. my second concert after london.

she was even more into it in my opinion, especially the beginning, the 80s stuff. SO SO AMAZING. i felt like it was filmed, she was so good. maybe because rocco was there? we even spotted max martin! always good if she wants to impress someone, i felt the little extra effort on her part.

i still think up until the cowboy section, it is all perfect and the little transitions work better and better, her mood carried it even better than in london. fucking bravo, what a joy to experience. die another day will look good on the broadcast, but it doesn’t do much live for me. this is really just some thoughts on a very very high level.

this is an absolute triumph for her, her music, her legacy, her fans and pop culture in general.
LOVE

ps: of course, 'no war and love' speeches always work and that is what she can offer as a pop artist and the core of this is always right! however, she seemed to be slightly afraid to condemn the war in gaza. she asked to release the hostages immediately (hell yeah, you criminal hamas!!) but she didn’t condemn the brutality against the palestinian civilians in gaza. 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)