"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

16 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

She has the receipts.  Forty years worth.  The new singers have not even begun to put a dent in the industry that still mimics her in every way from clothing to marketing  to touring.  She is still the Queen. 

This is absolutely true. Except nobody seems to give her that credit anymore that she deserves. Certainly not young kids anyway.

Anything that gets their attention she should jump on. Perhaps a bit quicker though then what she has done so far.

14 minutes ago, Andreo said:

But that's exactly my point, what I said is that releasing a much different re-recorded version of the demo / altered demo snippet is stupid, because it just risks to be too different from what people have been used to while listening to it, and therefore it might alienate the audience. The demo is perfect the way it is, as what went viral is probably either a slowed or fastened snippet of it, and people using socials like tik Tok distinguish that from a new remade track lol 

You're going by a snippet that may or may not be the finished version of what she's planning to release.  Even so, it still is very "recognizable". The "demo" might be "perfect" for you, but as stated earlier, there is a reason she never released that version of the song.  I really don't see anyone being "alienated" over this.  I think you are overthinking it way too much.  No one but some fans will really care if it's not exactly the same.  Most people are hearing only a fraction of the song anyway, in an altered state.  Some might listen to the full thing and think, "oh that's how it's supposed to sound!"

I’ll be honest, listening between the two, Madame X has better structure and flow I find. But there’s something wonderful about the demo too. Idk, we know she can’t leave anything alone. This is a little different than Frozen which was already remixed but this was a demo. We will see in a couple weeks what we get.

I think a lot of people look at her attempts to be successful in the modern era through the wrong lens. For me, it's not so much that she wants to be a Big Pop Girl again and be top of the singles charts (which is framed by many fans and media as her being desperate for the success of youth etc), and more so that she just sees how much growth potential is still achievable for her in the 2020s. She knows what is possible, she just hasn't landed on the correct magic spell yet - but she's working hard at it. And by "it", I don't mean an individual project such as Back The Up, but more getting to that sweet spot where everything isn't a graft and success has an easier flow to it.

If you look at Elton John as an example. I'm not a huge fan bar some of his 80s and 90s stuff, but they do mirror each other in many ways. He had many years of less-than-successful albums throughout the 2000s and his Lockdown Sessions album was his first #1 since the 90s. But he turned it around eventually in his mid 70s with the aid of years of hard work on his legacy to tie up his career in a  very impressive way, with 56 million monthly listeners on Spotify (M peaked at 22m this year) and huge streaming figures on his biggest hits. He'll have a no-doubt climatic and emotional send off at Glastonbury next June which will be on every paper around the world, before he glides off into the sunset.

So let her find the way that works for her, experiment on the film, the collabs, the dark album, her visual presentation (whether you like them or not), it will be more interesting to look back on in the future once she hits that stride again and we can all see what she had to do to get there. I am confident she'll have her victory lap and am happy to sit back and watch it unfold. People screaming abuse at her for every little thing she does is beyond exhausting. Y'all need to back that up a little...

1 minute ago, gafuller said:

I’ll be honest, listening between the two, Madame X has better structure and flow I find. But there’s something wonderful about the demo too. Idk, we know she can’t leave anything alone. This is a little different than Frozen which was already remixed but this was a demo. We will see in a couple weeks what we get.

The demo has a Nile Rodgers/Chic vibe like 70's disco with that rhythm guitar but the Madame X version is like an explosion, like Mike Dean got high and just went for it, it's more fun and epic than the demo (i would have liked it better if he had saved that background music to create another track with Madonna). Both have their charm and limitations.

22 minutes ago, tscott said:

You're going by a snippet that may or may not be the finished version of what she's planning to release.  Even so, it still is very "recognizable". The "demo" might be "perfect" for you, but as stated earlier, there is a reason she never released that version of the song.  I really don't see anyone being "alienated" over this.  I think you are overthinking it way too much.  No one but some fans will really care if it's not exactly the same.  Most people are hearing only a fraction of the song anyway, in an altered state.  Some might listen to the full thing and think, "oh that's how it's supposed to sound!"

Idk I hope it's good and that you're right about it not sounding too different. I really liked both demo and MX version and honestly hope she releases both. A single EP with the reworked + MX remix + demo would be a massive serve. That would make me more happy than a maxi single release lol

11 minutes ago, Andreo said:

Idk I hope it's good and that you're right about it not sounding too different. I really liked both demo and MX version and honestly hope she releases both. A single EP with the reworked + MX remix + demo would be a massive serve. That would make me more happy than a maxi single release lol

I think it would be a great idea to release a single EP like you mentioned, including the demo version.  Though, we've really yet to see her embrace her demos enough to release them.  She's given the impression that those are unfinished works which are meant to be heard.  But maybe she'll have a change of heart with the new re-issues upon us.  I won't hold my breath though.   

3 hours ago, androiduser said:

Then why is she constantly trying to release a popgirl hit? and it never works? Why doesn't Madonna let it go?

Is she, really? Honestly I can't argue with people that think Madame X is a "popgirl hit" filled kinda album. Do you think things like Hung Up on Tokischa was made because she thinks it is a bonafide hit potential?

And even if she is making songs that fits what a hit song means in 2022, so what? Madonna always has been a curious , current pop artist, she's not going to turn into a folk singer-songwriter because it is more age appropriate or a legacy act making watered down disco music to please white middle aged gay man. 

The problem is that some of you guys only give her credibility when she's liked by the general public, filling stadiums and able to be a top 5 hit machine. And she hasn't been one for about 10 years now, and the chances are she's never going to be again. If that's her worth for you guys and the music itself is so bad maybe it is time to move on like I said.

Let's not pretend Madonna didn't have some questionable songs that became hits and that wasn't a problem for the fandom back then but now God forbid if she puts out something that some of you particually don't like and it flops. HOW.DARE.SHE???

6 hours ago, diegolcl said:

She's a 64 years old woman now, there's no amount of lazer focus that will make her a number one popgirl again. Let it go.

It's unfair to claim for more more more all the time to a woman approaching her 70s and a woman that still active and creative. It's never gonna be enough.

If she pleases her fanbase/the gays people will say she's not bringing anything new to the table and reapiting herself, if she dares to do something different (Hello Madame X) people say it is shit. What the fuck do you guys want? Are you guys sure you enjoy any trace of her artistry still? It's ok to move on...

If she works with unknown people like Tokischa and 070 Shake people don't like it, if she works with "famous" people you guys say she should discover new talent like she used to do... like... What do you guys want?

I rather take these remixes and now Back That Up than nothing at all like between 2009 and 2012.

I rather take these "tiktok crap pandering shit music she's doing" than to see you guys complaining she didn't do anything when she had the chance.

She's never gonna be a fanbase pleaser like Kylie or Cher. Isn't that obvious?

I think you’re reinterpreting what I said. Madonna herself has vented her displeasure at the landscape she finds herself in these days. I’m simply agreeing with her and echoing her sentiments. No one expects her to be back on the top of the singles charts but I don’t think any of us expected the commercial slide to be so steep over the course of three albums. I think that’s just facts. I share her frustrations. 

To those that said so. I don’t think that makes me a troll really now does it? 

Im a huge Janet fan. I’ve seen how a team people mishandling your legacy, poor delivery  of current projects and historical material is detrimental to future endeavours. Mariah has suffered the same fate in the last decade. I’d hope Madonna would be exempt as the true icon of them all. It’s good things are starting now and she’s fared far better in many ways but it’s been far from ideal and you can tell she is keen to keep making her mark. This isn’t a star in decline in her eyes she still wants to kick ass. 

27 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I think you’re reinterpreting what I said. Madonna herself has vented her displeasure at the landscape she finds herself in these days. I’m simply agreeing with her and echoing her sentiments. No one expects her to be back on the top of the singles charts but I don’t think any of us expected the commercial slide to be so steep over the course of three albums. I think that’s just facts. I share her frustrations. 

Im a huge Janet fan. I’ve seen how a team people mishandling your legacy, poor delivery  of current projects and historical material is detrimental to future endeavours. Mariah has suffered the same fate in the last decade. I’d hope Madonna would be exempt as the true icon of them all. It’s good things are starting now and she’s fared far better in many ways but it’s been far from ideal and you can tell she is keen to keep making her mark. This isn’t a star in decline in her eyes she still wants to kick ass. 

Yes ^ it's an interesting time most of M's 80s peers are dead so it's hard to compare her to anyone or they have stumbled for decades (Janet, Cyndi for example) - M is once again forging her own way and she will lose some fans along the way and that's ok for 40 years into her career.

31 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

Yes ^ it's an interesting time most of M's 80s peers are dead so it's hard to compare her to anyone or they have stumbled for decades (Janet, Cyndi for example) - M is once again forging her own way and she will lose some fans along the way and that's ok for 40 years into her career.

totally agree! 

This made me go back and listen to all the Rebel Heart demos. What a time to be alive. #FreeTheHacker 

When it was announced she was working with Avici, I rolled my eyes and thought she'd lost it. And then it leaked and I loved it. Love it even more now. It has a very unique sound and she is SINGING.

Then the MDNA Skincare commercial popped up next on the playlist and I thought "I will take ANY demo going viral over this DARK CHAPTER..."

M can do whatever she wants to do - if she wants to pander to tiktok trends thats fine - what worries me is i feel like we've gone back a year - the frozen tiktok remix trend just went way overboard with too much emphasis on that and lets face it - it wasnt exactly a great remix - what it did was derail the re-issue campaign which imo still hasnt started properly - and by that i mean any album reissue with some unreleased stuff on it plus it would have given us some indication as to what the template was going to be - ie will it be just vinyl(god i hope not ! ) or will it be like the warners Prince re-issues lavish box sets with all remixes, demos and a live concert. i think at this stage we arent getting remastered music videos on any type of physical format - what worries me now is are we getting anything unreleased at all ? so far the only thing that have excited me was the steven bray chat where he mentioned all the unreleased demos...M also hasnt talked about anything on this yet either which also worries me :(

12 hours ago, steady75 said:

Look, I'm sorry if my post came across as hostile, it was not personal. It's just frustating that all we talk about in this fandom for the last 10 years is how Madonna is seeking a hit like a whore, is tarnishing her legacy, her music is shit nowdays and her body/photoshop when this woman is, like I said, a 64 yo person that still is active and creative, either we like her output or not it is what she has to offer.

About Janet and Mariah, I don't think neither have a career that can be compared to Madonna's.

Madonna had a 8 year career, about 20 top 10 hits in the US alone by the time Mariah debuted. By the time Mariah "was over" in 2001 Madonna was riding her second imperial fase. Mariah is primarily a R&B artist, her legacy is expressive, yes, but mainly in the US and she's never been a cultural phenomenon as Madonna.

Janet is a black woman, a Jackson with a huge R&B background too and you as a fan must know the consequences of the Superbowl were harder than anything Madonna had to deal with. Her last album was 7 years ago and that came after a, more or less, 6 years hiatus and her last 3 tours were sold (if not jancelled kii) as greatest hits tours so I don't see the parallels either. 

Madonna is at a league of her own. Yes, Mariah's team made some incredible things that Madonna's team could learn but then again I don't see Madonna milking a Christmas Song every year, making an autobiography book, a rarities album... Can you imagine the meltdown in the fandom if Madonna hopped onto a Holiday Remix by some newbie rapper produced by Dr. Luke?

I can’t believe we are 24 months from the tenth anniversary of Rebel Heart. What an album!!! Where is life going.

Bitch is what I consider to be her last semi hit tbh. I know the charts don’t agree but it’s held it’s own. 

To my earlier point much of the headline material has been there. They’ve just released the wrong stuff. That never happened til she left Warner. Maybe American Life album was the first and only period where the singles were largely questioned by the fanbase for the first time but Warner largely knew where the hits were and often how to deliver them. Beat Goes On too. 

In a Warner universe I feel like 

Love Spent

Im A Sinner

Rebel Heart

Devil Pray

Iconic

Body Shop

Joan Of Arc

God Control

Looking For Mercy

Would have been singles or at least remixed. I don’t think I’ll ever let Rebel Heart not being a single go. 

2 hours ago, diegolcl said:

Look, I'm sorry if my post came across as hostile, it was not personal. It's just frustating that all we talk about in this fandom for the last 10 years is how Madonna is seeking a hit like a whore, is tarnishing her legacy, her music is shit nowdays and her body/photoshop when this woman is, like I said, a 64 yo person that still is active and creative, either we like her output or not it is what she has to offer.

About Janet and Mariah, I don't think neither have a career that can be compared to Madonna's.

Madonna had a 8 year career, about 20 top 10 hits in the US alone by the time Mariah debuted. By the time Mariah "was over" in 2001 Madonna was riding her second imperial fase. Mariah is primarily a R&B artist, her legacy is expressive, yes, but mainly in the US and she's never been a cultural phenomenon as Madonna.

Janet is a black woman, a Jackson with a huge R&B background too and you as a fan must know the consequences of the Superbowl were harder than anything Madonna had to deal with. Her last album was 7 years ago and that came after a, more or less, 6 years hiatus and her last 3 tours were sold (if not jancelled kii) as greatest hits tours so I don't see the parallels either. 

Madonna is at a league of her own. Yes, Mariah's team made some incredible things that Madonna's team could learn but then again I don't see Madonna milking a Christmas Song every year, making an autobiography book, a rarities album... Can you imagine the meltdown in the fandom if Madonna hopped onto a Holiday Remix by some newbie rapper produced by Dr. Luke?

Hen didn’t she just do this with Saucy Santana on Material Gorllllllll? 😂

• Askeroff changed the title to "Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !
  • RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic