"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

Yupp, it needs more work. It’s cool, but needs to be pushed further. That’s the case for a lot of songs from the RH era, even one’s released. Hold Tight could have been a fantastic track, but for some reason Madonna decided to take verse 1 and verse 2 from the demos and combine them into 1 verse for the album. And even worse, that verse gets repeated as the 2nd. Whyyyy

Would've made a great single too. I love all the versions of Hold Tight, strange how it ended up sounding so close to Gwen Stefani's Baby Don't Lie in the end but even that was cool.

"If graffiti on a wall changed anything at all then it would be illegal"....

Isn't graffiti illegal? Didn't Keith and Jean change things with it? This and so many other unanswered questions, tonight, at 11....

That song feels very Madonna does "Born This Way: The Musical". And I like it. Would have shit myself loving it...in 1997.

I don't care how much "Borrowed Time" sounds like "Don't Wake Me Up", it's the best version. That Avicci sound gave those tracks something that makes them stand out in her discography.

"God Is Love" is preachy Madonna that actually works. Doesn't come off cringe or shoehorned like some of her other post 2003 stuff does. That line about Jesus didn't die so you could treat other people like shit! Hello!

The demo of Sex is a BOP. Fun, funny, playful, bouncy beats and that bridge?! The album version is a scandal. I listened once. Never again. 

9 hours ago, deathproof said:

No way. Graffiti Heart is lovely, and of all the preachy stuff she recorded for that album, Borrowed Time is the best out of all of them.

Chile, I was gonna include in my post that Graffiti Heart is one of the most grating songs ever but didn’t wanna ruffle any feathers :Madonna006:

2 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

"God Is Love" is preachy Madonna that actually works. Doesn't come off cringe or shoehorned like some of her other post 2003 stuff does. That line about Jesus didn't die so you could treat other people like shit! Hello!

God Is Love is a jam! Should have been on the album.

Going back over these RH demos has made me wonder, if Madame X demos leaked in a similar fashion, would I love that album? I think so because I love many remixes from it.

And while they are more remixes than demos, William's MDNA stuff has some more of that Madonna magic lacking from the album versions. I wish he would have been given the keys and let loose.

On the flip side, I LOVE that we have the ROL demos. LOVE them. But the final product is still perfection.

It's just interesting to think about.

7 minutes ago, Andreo said:

I want the Back That Up single now so don't get me wrong, but seeing how much non Xmas songs are free falling from the daily charts and losing more and more streams to xmas songs, I'm kinda happy and understanding why they're waiting for the release :Madonna006:

It makes sense.  Also, I don't expect she is thinking too much about what impact this release really will have, but rather extend the life of what's going viral, like she eventually did with Frozen, and possibly help add to her streaming presence. Imagine if the Frozen and this didn't happen on Tik Tok,? This year could have been far less active for her.  She spent a good quarter of this year, just releasing new videos and mixes for Frozen.  This is a fairly new way of how the general public are re-experiencing some of her music through the viral Tik Toks.  Though, there is also a process in how things get released.  Some make it sound like it's easy as adding the song to streaming when I'm sure there is more to it than just doing that, especially if another record company may be involved.  Those artists who have suddenly dropped their new album, on digital platforms, didn't just do it just like that.  There was months of hush planning behind the scenes. Also, a lot of these "drops" aren't really much of a surprise because in most cases, word leaks out something is coming or an album is being worked on. It's possible that all this could be a convenient distraction, so less attention is given to her releasing new music soon, so she can spring it on us more easily.  Anyway, I'm excited to what's to come.  I think 2023 will be a very active year for Madonna and fans may end up getting very overwhelmed for what's to come.  I know I will because it won't be cheap.

On 12/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, MPowered said:

No that’s bullshit actually. They had to remix the album either way cause Avicii dropped out due to health reasons midway through the recording process. Aside from that, Madonna had Rebel Heart set as the title for a long time. It was always going to be a two-part project with one of them being the „renegade“ rebel half and the other being the more romantic and nostalgic „heart“ side.

She was most likely going to further work on the other Avicii songs had the album session not leaked in advance. A lot of songs she has done with Avicii appeared on the album in their demo form. 

Overall, I think the issue was that she was trying to make it cohesive when it was clear that she wouldn’t be recording two full, separate albums. However, since the release date got pushed to an earlier date, there wasn’t enough time for Ryan Tedder, Bloodpop and Kanye to finalize the other Avicii tracks (HeartBreakCity, Messiah, Rebel Heart) on time. In addition to that, her label didn’t go along with her „dual album“ vision and demanded ONE album. I think by that time she resignated and just picked out 19 songs + 6 bonus tracks that she felt were good enough for a release and called it a day. She also highlighted 6 songs (3 from each half of the album) that she considered for single release and the label (stupidly) released them as an EP AT ONCE. They also most likely came up with that ridiculous abridged version that omits the title track because they felt that 19 tracks were too long and they just chopped off the last 5 tracks.

All in all, I am convinced that the current tracklist of the album was a product of miscommunication. She probably just gave up at that point. 

This is essentially how the tracklist could have looked like with the „dual album“ concept somewhat intact:

1. Iconic
  2. Illuminati
  3. Bitch I'm Madonna
  4. Unapologetic Bitch
  5. Best Night
  6. S.E.X.
  7. Holy Water
  8. Inside Out
  9. Veni Vidi Vici
  10. Living for Love
  11. Hold Tight
  12. Ghosttown
  13. Wash All Over Me
  14. Devil Pray
  15. Body Shop
  16. Joan of Arc
  17. HeartBreakCity
  18. Messiah
  19. Rebel Heart

Thank you!!  I always thought the final tracklist was really incohesive, it makes sense that it was a record company screw up.  I see why she picked the singles she did, but I think it was a mistake to only use songs from the early damage control EP.  That got a lot of media attention, and I would imagine that a lot of the more casual/curious listeners bought those songs, making it kind of silly to release them as singles as opposed to songs that those people may not have already heard/owned (and it's not like any of the remixes for them were exactly revolutionary).

I also am surprised that she gave into the record company about the original two-album concept.  I mean, bitch, she's Madonna!  How can a mere record company exec tell her how she can present her work?  I was SO excited about it, and it still remains one of my favorite eras.  I know M was really unhappy about the way things panned out with that record, but I thought hearing the demos and the evolution of those songs was fascinating, even if the final result isn't what I would have chosen.  The final album is really, really good, but it had the potential to be, IMO, a career defining record for her.

21 minutes ago, momosfantasy said:

Thank you!!  I always thought the final tracklist was really incohesive, it makes sense that it was a record company screw up.  I see why she picked the singles she did, but I think it was a mistake to only use songs from the early damage control EP.  That got a lot of media attention, and I would imagine that a lot of the more casual/curious listeners bought those songs, making it kind of silly to release them as singles as opposed to songs that those people may not have already heard/owned (and it's not like any of the remixes for them were exactly revolutionary).

I also am surprised that she gave into the record company about the original two-album concept.  I mean, bitch, she's Madonna!  How can a mere record company exec tell her how she can present her work?  I was SO excited about it, and it still remains one of my favorite eras.  I know M was really unhappy about the way things panned out with that record, but I thought hearing the demos and the evolution of those songs was fascinating, even if the final result isn't what I would have chosen.  The final album is really, really good, but it had the potential to be, IMO, a career defining record for her.

I always thought that the leaks, and the fall at Brits, were planned. It doesn't make sense that she didn't have the tracks finished but they had the artwork ready (were it says 2014 and not 2015 btw). Also, how a freak control like her didn't notice that the cape was a problem till the last second? 

On the other hand, is one of my favourite eras too

1 hour ago, momosfantasy said:

Record companies have the final say over what goes. Even Michael Jackson had fights with Sony about certain decisions.

• Askeroff changed the title to "Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !
  • RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic