Rehearsals (spoilers alert)

truerebel

20 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Also, let's not forget, even Blond Ambition, that Northern Star of Madonna's touring, had a whole section of songs that were neither hits nor singles (Hanky Panky was released 2 months after the tour started). 

And even then, it was easier to cover the older songs if she chose to because there was less material to choose from versus DWT as she had a whole new decade of work to perform.  :)

50 minutes ago, litemakr said:

People were really pissed that she didn't do hits at DWT since she hadn't toured in a long time. I don't recall anyone leaving but they were upset for sure. That led to a backlash and she did the Reinvention tour to make up for it. She was pretty open about that. That was in Los Angeles the week of 9/11. I saw the show twice, before and after 9/11 happened. 

People might have complained but there was no backlash over that show. I also remember a lot of people enjoying and being into it the newer, edgier, darker Madonna. Besides, she had 3 albums’ worth of successful material to tour; anyone expecting a ton of 80s songs was a fool.

Reinvention only happened bc of the colossal flop that was American Life. If it had been a success she would have done a different show that focused on the album.

3 minutes ago, McDonna said:

And even then, it was easier to cover the older songs if she chose to because there was less material to choose from versus DWT as she had a whole decade of work to perform.  :)

I also don’t get this RIT = greatest hits tour thing.

7/11 songs from AL were included in the setlist (originally 9).

Madonna: 2 songs, one of them wasn’t a hit at all.

Like A Virgin: 1 song, along with ITG & CFY

True Blue: 1 song

Like A Prayer: 2 songs

I'm Breathless: 2 songs, one of them not being one of her typical hits.

Erotica: 1 song

Bedtime Stories: 1 song and not one of the two hits.

Ray Of Light: 1 song

Music: 2 songs

That's HARDLY a greatest hits tour.

26 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Also, let's not forget, even Blond Ambition, that Northern Star of Madonna's touring, had a whole section of songs that were neither hits nor singles (Hanky Panky was released 2 months after the tour started). 

Yeah that’s the thing, she’s always focused on newer material. Even the Who’s That Girl Tour left out hits from a couple years prior in favor of more current album & soundtrack cuts. Look at the Girlie Show too.

It’s just that when she was in closer proximity to those classic hits and there was less material to choose from, said hits were slightly less scant.

11 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Well I get it to a point because the tour did include a number of her biggest hits compared to her prior tour.  Still, I agree the tour (like her previous tours) relied heavily on American Life. I think at the end of the day when a tour includes Holiday, Vogue and Like A Prayer along with a number of her significant hits, people are more accepting of the set list if not satisfied more. 

Also, I think most people think of it as "closest we get to a Greatest Hits Tour" rather "A Greatest Hits Tour".

29 minutes ago, McDonna said:

But Vogue was performed on Re-Invention Tour??  Re-Invention did manage to pull out a lot of hits.  I thought you were speaking of Vogue was promised for DWT?

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying despite people being disappointed by Drowned World Tour's lack of hits and American Life flopping, which would have caused detriment to her touring, people came back because of this unspoken promise that there would be more hits this time around, which both the poster and tour title alluded to. People hadn't seen Vogue performed in 10+ years at that point, and the tour poster is basically the VMAs performance brought into the 2000s.

1 minute ago, adirondak said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying despite people being disappointed by Drowned World Tour's lack of hits, and American Life flopping, which would have caused detriment to her touring, people came back because of this promise that there would be more hits. 

I think you are mixing up people's conversations.  I agreed that people were disaapointed with DWT's lack of hits and also mentioned the fact of the less than desired interest in American Life, is why she threw in a lot of older songs.  My earlier posts were defending why DWT was not packed with a lot of hits because it had a lot of ground to cover since the Girlie Show Tour. :)

7 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I think you are mixing up people's conversations.  I agreed that people were disaapointed with DWT's lack of hits and also mentioned the fact of the less than desired interest in American Life, is why she threw in a lot of older songs.  My earlier posts were defending why DWT was not packed with a lot of hits because it had a lot of ground to cover since the Girlie Show Tour. :)

I see. I guess I misunderstood your point or misattributed a post. 

3 minutes ago, roberMDNA said:

i will always wonder why people get upset when they attend an album tour and several songs from that album are performed. It's really that surprising that (for example) in The Madame X Tour songs from Madame X album are performed?

The general public is very naive about these things. Take Cher for example... She does like 1-3 new songs and the rest is a hits filled show that she's been doing for decades and the audience leaves satisfied cause that's what they expect. Same goes for these 80s rock bands too. People just assume Madonna will perform all the hits especially if they're unaware she has a new album, or if the album flipped and has no current hits on it. Their problem. 

43 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Comparing the set lists it's a pretty drastic difference in terms of song selection and number of "hits". There were only 2 songs in DWT from her 80s/early 90s heyday - Holiday and La Isla Bonita. And La Isla was a slowed down acoustic version. Reinvention had 12.

Act 1: Rock 'n' Roll Punk Girl
1. "Drowned World/Substitute for Love"
2. "Impressive Instant"
3. "Candy Perfume Girl"
4. "Beautiful Stranger" 
5. "Ray of Light" 
Act 2: Geisha Girl
1. "Paradise (Not for Me)" (Video Interlude)
2. "Frozen"
3. "Nobody's Perfect" 
4. "Mer Girl" (Part 1)
5. "Sky Fits Heaven"
6. "Mer Girl" (Part 2)

7. "What It Feels Like for a Girl" (Remix) (Video Interlude)
Act 3: Cyber Cowgirl
1. "I Deserve It"
2. "Don't Tell Me"
3. "Human Nature"
4. "The Funny Song"
5. "Secret"
6. "Gone"
Act 4: Spanish Girl/Ghetto Girl
1. "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (Instrumental/Dancers interlude)
2. "Lo Que Siente La Mujer" (Spanish Version of "What It Feels Like for a Girl")
3. "La Isla Bonita"
4. "Holiday"
5. "Music" 

Act 1: Marie Antoinette
1. "The Beast Within" 
2. "Vogue"
3. "Nobody Knows Me"
4. "Frozen"
Act 2: Military
1. "American Life"
2. "Express Yourself"
3. "Burning Up"
4. "Material Girl"
Act 3: Circus
1. "Hollywood" (Remix) (Interlude)
2. "Hanky Panky"
3. "Deeper and Deeper"
4. "Die Another Day"
5. "Lament"
6. "Bedtime Story" (Remix) (Interlude)
Act 4: Acoustic
1. "Nothing Fails"
2. "Don't Tell Me" 
3. "Like a Prayer"
4. "Mother and Father" 
5. "Imagine"
Act 5: Scottish-Tribal
1. "Into the Groove" 
2. "Papa Don't Preach"
3. "Crazy for You"
4. "Music" 
5. "Holiday" 

7 minutes ago, musicinferno said:

The general public is very naive about these things. Take Cher for example... She does like 1-3 new songs and the rest is a hits filled show that she's been doing for decades and the audience leaves satisfied cause that's what they expect. Same goes for these 80s rock bands too. People just assume Madonna will perform all the hits especially if they're unaware she has a new album, or if the album flipped and has no current hits on it. Their problem. 

I think fans also forget the general public doesn't always attend every Madonna tour or in this case Cher tour.  So like you pointed out Cher (and many other artists) tend to tour the same songs tour after tour.  While Madonna tends to focus on the latest album.  Celebration is the first time we are getting a tour that isn't based on the latest release.  So I'm sure the Celebration tour is very much packed with a lot of big known songs, because the aim is not just the fans but the general public as well.  If there was any tour to attend of Madonna's this would be the one if your looking for a tour that's going to play a lot of popular Madonna songs. :party:

8 minutes ago, musicinferno said:

Yeah but Cher also rehashes roughly the same 12 or so hits on each show. And of course covers. It’s wild that she doesn’t pull occasional lesser hits or singles. She has 1,000 albums to choose from.

And this is only since Believe. If you watch videos of her shows from the 70s or 80s it’s like a few songs from her most recent album or two and a bunch of covers.

4 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I don’t accept Cher revisionism. 😂 Cher simply doesn’t have the hits that Madonna has. She has all of about twelve, and even then some have become remembered as bigger hits due to her never ending farewell tour more than they actually ever were in reality. If people here are getting upset about Madonna performing a less remembered number one or top five hit from thirty-odd years ago, how do they feel about Cher calling Heart of Stone, Walking In Memphis and All Or Nothing classics? If you know Cher, her voice is instantly recognizable. Given the fact that nowadays young people have little regard for legacy and history beyond their own lifetimes, it’s easy to consider anyone who has been around long enough legendary. Cher has taken advantage of this endlessly since 2000. She’s a very smart woman for convincing all the post-millennial gays that she paved the way for Madonna and has had the same cultural impact. It’s total nonsense, but if you tell a lie enough times…

Madonna has no peers. 

p.s. I love Cher.

You are 100% correct. 

7 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I don’t accept Cher revisionism. 😂 Cher simply doesn’t have the hits that Madonna has. She has all of about twelve (her very long discography is diabolically unlistenable for the most part, which is why most people never bought the records), and even then some have become remembered as bigger hits due to her never ending farewell tour more than they actually ever were in reality. If people here are getting upset about Madonna performing a less remembered number one or top five hit from thirty-odd years ago, how do they feel about Cher calling Heart of Stone, Walking In Memphis and All Or Nothing classics? If you know Cher, her voice is instantly recognizable. Given the fact that nowadays young people have little regard for legacy and history beyond their own lifetimes, it’s easy to consider anyone who has been around long enough legendary. Cher has taken advantage of this endlessly since 2000. She’s a very smart woman for convincing all the post-millennial gays that she paved the way for Madonna and has had the same cultural impact. It’s total nonsense, but if you tell a lie enough times…

Madonna has no peers. 

p.s. I love Cher.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

35 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

Is this one of the costumes Stuart was talking about? 💝

https://x.com/adamleigh25/status/1712618068466184222?s=46&t=dgXkJWncgr8QM32-XQw0PQ

and if you read further down in the comments, someone asks "is Madonna going to wear that?" to which the insider responds "no but it's represented"...so that means Bob will be wearing it....

5 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

and if you read further down in the comments, someone asks "is Madonna going to wear that?" to which the insider responds "no but it's represented"...so that means Bob will be wearing it....

Or it just means in some fashion we will see the gown in a montage or a similar costume/outfit will be worn by her and/or dancers or the period will be represented in some way.  But of course, I understand this desperate narrative to think  Bob is going to take over the show, and sing her songs. :Madonna007: