The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

47 minutes ago, Pipine23 said:

I can’t believe how amazing she looks on this tour.. just stunning.  Love all the looks.. the ROL jumpsuit is just perfect. 

I agree! My Mom (when she was alive) would always go on about Carole Burnette’s legs and how beautiful they were. Well, I think Madonna’s legs are just as beautiful if not more so.  Even at 65! Dang! Who else can say that? 💃💃💃💃💃🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Eight things we learned from Madonna’s nights of Celebration in London

The Guardian takes in a dazzling start to a tour showcasing a career that set the template for modern pop stardom

Laura Snapes

Fri 20 Oct 2023 12.04 EDT

By the end of her four-night stint in London in the past week, Madonna’s status as pop’s ultimate survivor was assured.

Four months ago, it was uncertain whether she would be able to begin her Celebration tour, showcasing a career that set the template for modern pop stardom.

She was hospitalised in June with a life-threatening bacterial infection that left her in intensive care, and observers doubted the 65-year-old would recover in time. As did she.

“I’m pretty damn surprised I made it this far,” she said on the first night. “And I mean that on many levels.”

A total of 80,000 fans packed into the O2 Arena this week and, despite technical hitches on several nights, the tour earned four- and five-star reviews. Critics praised its canny assessment of her musical, cultural and societal impact – although

some tabloids balked at its proud display of her sexuality.

Here, the Guardian looks through her typically dazzling start.

Community at her core

Madonna with her dancers. Photograph: Kevin Mazur/WireImage for Live Nation

Madonna would never have become the star she is without finding a community in 80s New York queer culture, as the Celebration tour made plain. Her dancers were largely Black, Latin, queer and trans, and the exuberance between them felt gorgeous and sincere.

The show’s greatest stylistic influence is ballroom culture, which she first showcased in her 1990 hit Vogue. Her foregrounding of the artform – such as judging a ball competition and having the RuPaul’s Drag Race winner Bob the Drag Queen as an MC – felt like an authentic acknowledgment of a mutually loving bond.

That was underlined by a profoundly moving tribute to her peers and the community lost to Aids: the giant disco ball that twirled during Holiday slumped to the ground, crushing a male dancer. As she started Live to Tell, screens revealed portraits of late friends including Freddie Mercury, Keith Haring, Robert Mapplethorpe and Peter Hujar. She sang to them on a suspended platform, the images multiplying so fast you could no longer make out the men’s individual identities.

Madonna on stage with Bob the Drag Queen at the O2 Arena in London on Sunday. Photograph: Kevin Mazur/WireImage for Live Nation

She’s still scrappy five decades in

Starting three months later than planned, said the musical director Stuart Price, “created an opportunity to further enhance the show”. The performance was full of spectacular set pieces – a spinning carousel filled with muscular male dancers; flying stages; enough biblical symbolism to fill the Vatican – but it also felt thrillingly haphazard, befitting the young Madonna’s make-or-break attitude. That was dramatised in the prelude to Holiday, staged on the steps of famed New York nightclub Paradise Garage with Madonna begging the bouncer to be let in while gorgeous queens sauntered past. It also came through in her seemingly off-the-cuff addresses: beer in hand, remembering her early days playing at punk club CBGB’s before a brilliant guitar-led rendition of Burning Up; beer also in hand on night three as she talked about her anguish over the Israel-Hamas war.

Age is no match for her

Madonna on the opening night of the Celebration tour in London. Photograph: Kevin Mazur/WireImage for Live Nation

One of the most moving aspects of the Celebration tour is its reflection of how much Madonna has had to overcome: poverty and risk as a young dancer in New York; ferocious censure; pop’s ever-present threat of obsolescence. Then there is also the sheer passage of time: the toxic combination of misogyny and ageism, not to mention the physical limitations that a body – and a dancer’s relentlessly flogged body, at that – can take. Madonna has been confronting the former for more than half her life. “The most controversial thing I’ve done is to stick around,” she said in voiceover – a clip from an awards acceptance speech – as newspaper clips lambasting her age spin across the backdrop. But she’s also vanquished the latter: executing a show this physical just four months after her hospitalisation is an astonishing feat; her undisguised knee support sleeve also read as an unapologetic acknowledgment of the exertion and bodily toll entailed in performing at this level aged 65. Her acoustic cover of Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive was well earned – and her voice sounded formidable.

Conquering new sexual frontiers

Madonna writhes on stage with a lookalike. Photograph: Kevin Mazur/WireImage for Live Nation

Nobody has made sexuality into iconography like Madonna. But there was a point behind – almost – every cone bra and shred of latex as she protested prudishness and hypocrisy, sent up the absurdity of the virgin-whore dichotomy and foregrounded eroticism during an era where sexuality could become a death sentence. Onstage, her age added a new dimension to this lifelong mission as she revelled in her status as an object of desire and an enduringly sexual being.

Family is everything

Madonna and her son David Banda perform her song Mother and Father. Photograph: Kevin Mazur/WireImage for Live Nation

During the song Mother and Father, Madonna sang to an image of her mother, while her son David Banda played guitar in front of a screen of his late birth mother. Madonna’s daughters also featured: Lourdes Leon helped judge the drag ball on night one, Mercy James played piano beautifully on Bad Girl and – stealing the show – 11-year-old Estere deejayed and vogued. And in respect of her queer and marginalised fans, she hymned chosen family – the support networks that many people create in the face of rejection and persecution at home.

Wackiness is part of the enterprise

The first half of the tour plots a fairly linear path through Madonna’s history. But once she passed the early 90s, narrative went out of the window in favour of the relative chaos that has become her modern calling card. There were samples of Sam Smith and Kim Petras’s provocative hit Unholy (albeit not Vulgar, Madonna’s actual duet with Smith), a delightful spotlight on the Dominican rapper Tokischa and a strange interlude for The Beast Within, in which Madonna’s dancers trudged through a desert landscape reminiscent of a Star Wars prequel.

Controversy remains her second language

Madonna in full iconoclast mode on stage. Photograph: Kevin Mazur/WireImage for Live Nation

There were, of course, a few flagrant provocations: having paid tribute to Prince, with a purple-costumed guitarist ripping a guitar solo at the end of Like a Prayer, she also included a mashup of Like a Virgin with various Michael Jackson hits, while silhouettes of the two frolicked on screen in reference to their on-screen romance. And on night three, she expanded on her previous allusions to the Israel-Hamas war, lamenting the children killed in the conflict and advocating for “no sanctions, no land given or taken”.

Her star power remains

Despite the tour’s focus on Madonna’s fallibility, it was impossible not to behold the fact the actual Madonna was right there, running through a recent history that felt more like mythology.

Betsy Reed

Editor, Guardian US

I believe Miss Madonna may have gotten a new or better publicist.

Here’s yet ANOTHER recent media piece praising her, and it’s very interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2023/11/madonna-hung-up-video-age-sexuality/675441/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if this was posted before but Pitchfork gave the show a great review. Somewhat surprisingly? Thankfully it wasn’t by Rich Juzwiak.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/madonnas-celebration-tour-is-more-than-just-another-greatest-hits-show/?utm_source=twitter&utm_social-type=owned&mbid=social_twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_brand=p4k

This passage caught my eye regarding the observation or critique some have about the second half of the show being less structured than the first:

“Madonna’s shows are known for being meticulous and highly conceptual, but this bricolage of past styles and aesthetics made Celebration feel unusually scrappy. That ramshackle quality was also the show’s greatest strength, allowing for brilliant choreographed moments, like a recreation of the dance from the “Don’t Tell Me” video, alongside Madonna’s trademark vaudevillian raunch (making out with one of her topless female dancers after “Hung Up”) and sections that felt off-the-cuff.”

49 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

I believe Miss Madonna may have gotten a new or better publicist.

Here’s yet ANOTHER recent media piece praising her, and it’s very interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2023/11/madonna-hung-up-video-age-sexuality/675441/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be. Last I remember she signed w/Billie Eilish’s publicist a few years ago. That poor girl got dragged all over the internet during her last album cycle. Hopefully M found someone more competent.

4 hours ago, Voguerista said:

I agree! My Mom (when she was alive) would always go on about Carole Burnette’s legs and how beautiful they were. Well, I think Madonna’s legs are just as beautiful if not more so.  Even at 65! Dang! Who else can say that? 💃💃💃💃💃🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Me too! She's serving it and we are eating it up - she looks so good!

49 minutes ago, stefo said:

This video of Rain shows a quite close perspective, her face and expressions are top notch :hearteyes:

https://www.facebook.com/madonnauniversepage/videos/708828887771209 

... and that smile

394342831_727521852746308_94690418565224

Another stunning sweet pic! She is so happy! Beautiful! 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, Joseebus said:

In a moment of insanity today I bought MY THIRD ticket of the tour for January 23rd at Madison Square Garden. I already have a ticket for Houston in March and Austin in April. I AM SO EXCITED.

And most of us are so jealous...Enjoy!! 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)