Madonna - I’ll Remember - Live?

Stein316

3 hours ago, chrisjc said:

If there had been a Bedtime Stories Tour in 1995 or even a Ray of Light Tour in 1999 then maybe it would have been performed. By the time a tour did emerge in 2001 there were so many songs from 3 studio albums, a compilation and a soundtrack I'll Remember didn'tstand a chance.

It would had been amazing. I'll Remember, Time Stood Still and This Used ... deserve a live version. And please Madonna, don´t forget about the superb The Look Of Love.

back to I'll Remember - it was #2 in the US for four weeks and #13 in the year end charts.... a major hit in the US after the Erotica/SEX controversy... how did it become such a big hit? Was Madonna forgiven so quickly? Because it took her a long time to recover from the Erotica/SEX backlash, especially in the US, how did she manage to get a #2 so quickly? Overall, I don't consider I'll Remember to be one of her major smash hits or well remembered songs, in spite of doing so great in the charts. It did well in Europe, but nothing noteworthy. How did it do so well in the US right after such a controversial era?

45 minutes ago, androiduser said:

back to I'll Remember - it was #2 in the US for four weeks and #13 in the year end charts.... a major hit in the US after the Erotica/SEX controversy... how did it become such a big hit? Was Madonna forgiven so quickly? Because it took her a long time to recover from the Erotica/SEX backlash, especially in the US, how did she manage to get a #2 so quickly? Overall, I don't consider I'll Remember to be one of her major smash hits or well remember songs, in spite of doing so great in the charts. It did well in Europe, but nothing noteworthy. How did it do so well in the US right after such a controversial era?

Because a good song trumps a silly controversy. In fact, 'I'll Remember" managed to keep soaring on the charts after her infamous David Letterman appearance when she dropped the "F" bomb 14 times on national television.  She appeared on Letterman a couple weeks after the song was released.  The U.S. public seemed to hate her after that March appearance, yet her song kept soaring on the charts throughout spring into the summer.  Even without the internet, many hardcore fans knew she was hated in the U.S.  But "I'll Remember" did not suffer!.  It would have gone #1 if it wasn't for the popularity of the R&B boy groups at the time.  All 4 One was huge at the time.  It wasn't necessarily a "quick" ascend as it took nearly two months for the song to reach #2. Erotica era was dead and buried by this point.  Prior to this,  in the summer of 93, "Rain" was a radio hit in the U.S, despite it charting at #14, but that was due more to radio airplay.  

We could easily assume it came down to what Madonna has always said which is even a good controversy or "bad press is good press".  I like to think that most people didn't care about the previous nonsense beforehand and just enjoyed the song.  Then again, she still had a record company ready to push her on radio back then. 

1 hour ago, tscott said:

Because a good song trumps a silly controversy. ....

Prior to this,  in the summer of 93, "Rain" was a radio hit in the U.S, despite it charting at #14, but that was due more to radio airplay.  

I think this is what confuses me the most.... Rain was far superior but didn't do nearly as well... of course, it was the last single and already available on the album, but still... I think I'll Remember is more unlike Madonna so that's why it did better...

I´ll remember is very good, I like it better than Rain. The general public loves Madonna when she softens her image and it´s sweet and does beautiful things. Ergo all her hits with True blue, ROL or Music.

It´s when she tries to change the world and be like Che guevara on the cover or been so hypersexual or wears a strange image people don´t like her so much,

On 4/5/2023 at 5:40 PM, Amlo said:

I hope she performs this. It is a great song. 

And I hope Stewart is really the musical director of the tour so ALL will sound so much better!

And I mean,  musical arrangements, well done transitions, all voices on point....especially MADONNA!!

Its not a hit i’ll remember but may she will change a bit of the tracklist from where what song whas high 

6 hours ago, androiduser said:

I think this is what confuses me the most.... Rain was far superior but didn't do nearly as well... of course, it was the last single and already available on the album, but still... I think I'll Remember is more unlike Madonna so that's why it did better...

I think 'I'll Remember' is a more inspiring and uplifting song with simpler, more universal lyrics that probably resonated more with the GP. Perhaps it also have helped that it was a not available on any album and the backlash had subsided more by that point. Its not necessarily better but more commercial/accessible.

7 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I think 'I'll Remember' is a more inspiring and uplifting song with simpler, more universal lyrics that probably resonated more with the GP. Perhaps it also have helped that it was a not available on any album and the backlash had subsided more by that point. Its not necessarily better but more commercial/accessible.

I suspect the film it was part of helped its popularity too.  While the film wasn't this huge smash, it did managed to top the box office the first couple of weeks.  April is usually low period for film releases, so if it was released Memorial weekend or in the summer, it probably would have gotten buried.  I think the soundtrack was sorta popular too.  And of course, that soundtrack was released on Maverick/Warner at the time.

I was really surprised to learn how big of a hit I'll Remember was in the US. I personally think it’s more well-produced than Rain. It’s more polished but overall I love both songs.

It's truly a shame that neither the Bedtime Stories, nor the Ray of Light Tour happened. As great as the Drowned World Tour was, it absolute does not do her 90s catalogue justice. In fact, she should have focused on the bigger songs from that decade over random (and mostly bottom ranking) album tracks for the setlist.

I'll Remember is one of my fave 90s tracks from her. A real palette cleanser after all the filth of the previous few years! Gorgeous vocals, simple but relatable. The Guerrilla Beach remix is sublime, pure Orbit in all its watery-ness. Unlikely she'll do it on this tour after all these years, but it could be a wild card in giving that montage / retrospective emotional vibe if she wanted to...

It´s like she feels vulnerable singing those songs for the people, in the concerts she loves so much that fighting, survivor, super woman stronger than the machos, who is very much in shape, and almost like a super hero, or protesting on the system, but she usually don´t let´s us see a more vulnerable side of her. One of my favourite live performances by her of all time was gone on the drowned world tour, gosh, she seemed like she felt so mucho those lyrics. I prefer much more than one that the whole geisha circus you know.